turn signal troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbad79

Reaction score
i have a problem on my 78 with my turn signals. when the headlights are on the parking lamps under he headlights dont turn on, then when i try to signal...nuthin. the front bulbs do nothing weather the headlights are on or not. the rear lights do signal but only when i manually move the turn signal lever up and down on the colum. also when the headlights are on the right turn signal indicator stays light up. i replaced the flasher and still same problem. should i replace the signal switch? all the fuses seem to be ok too. kinda confused so any help appreciated

Mike Barnes

Reaction score
i have a problem on my 78 with my turn signals. when the headlights are on the parking lamps under he headlights dont turn on, then when i try to signal...nuthin. the front bulbs do nothing weather the headlights are on or not. the rear lights do signal but only when i manually move the turn signal lever up and down on the colum. also when the headlights are on the right turn signal indicator stays light up. i replaced the flasher and still same problem. should i replace the signal switch? all the fuses seem to be ok too. kinda confused so any help appreciated
18982[/snapback]

try checking out all your bulbs first. Second, check the bulb housings as they do rust out and get stuck,especialy those front ones. Lastly, follow each wire from each light back towards the source. These wires sometimes rub against the metal frame work of the Bronco and short out against the framework. Don't get in a hurry and good luck on that truck. M. Barnes (Bellingham, WA

79bigbronco

Reaction score
the ground pin inside the frt. sig. lt. conector has rusted out, very common prob. Replace the frt. "pig tails" check that you have power to each internal pin. The reason the sig. lights arn't working is the flasher requires a certain amount of current draw to flash, without the frt. lights working, the current draw is to small. :)>-

OP
OP
B

bigbad79

Reaction score
cool i'll try the new pigtails and see how it works out. what about the indicators? how the right one stays lit up when the headlights are on?

79fever

Reaction score
Thanks for the post bigbad79, I have the same problem.........

Thanks for the tech solution 79bigbronco!

1978BroncoCustom

Great thread as I too am having the same problem with my '78 Custom. Will get the front sockets ordered ASAP.

1978BroncoCustom

Changed out all four light sockets (pigtails) and bulbs, cleaned and checked all grounding points; problem solved.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke