Bronco Tailgate Window And Switch Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

INEDBR

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Bronco. The window is in the down position and will not go up. I ordered a tailgate window regulator and plan to install it. The problem I have is how to move or remove the window. I removed the access panel and can't find a way to move the window. It is riveted on and there is no way to get to the window regulator. I took it to a local Ford Dealer and they told me they would have to break the window? Is this true?

My second question is in regards to the tailgate key lock switch. It stopped working a couple of months ago. It was more of an annoyance because the window still operated with the dash switch. I cannot seem to find a part number for this switch. Is it all one part with the switch and the lock? Any help would be appreciated.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
You can usually use a jumper wire to get power to the motor to get the glass down. If it's stuck down like your's and the motor works, you might be able to help it by hand while someone pushes the switch to go up. I've had to do this when the gear stripped on the motor. If you have no power and cannot raise the glass, you do not have to break it!!! On my 84 and 88, the glass is mounted inside a metal channel that is hooked to the regulator arms. This channel is held on by 4 bolts, which you can reach thru the access panel. The glass will then come out. If your 93 has the channel riveted to the regulator, the Haynes manual says to drill holes thru from the inside of the tailgate, above the four rivets. Make'em large enough to get a drill bit in them, and then drill out the rivets.

I don't know the part number on the key switch, but I have a pic of the one from my 88 at superford.org (parts bronco). It's all one piece, except for the lock cylinder for the key. I've already sold this one, though. If you need a pic of that glass channel, I'll put one up over there for ya.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raven

Reaction score
I have a ($ and the channels are bolted in .. if you look at http://broncograveyard.com/

they have replacement lock cylenders for the tailgates.. wish my window was stuck down ... lol .. mine is stuck in the up position and looking at it today I fouind that one of the channels was toast for it and have to get new ...

JerkyB2K3

Reaction score
These rear windows are a complete pain in the ass. On my 1990, the tailgate lift-assist torsion bar retaining piece of metal broke with the window and gate down, of course, completely shattering the rear window. So, after i got a new window and get that put in, about 2 weeks ago, my window motor shit the bed on me. It's been a neverending nightmare with that truck. But anyways, the window should be held in by 2 nuts on each rail, you'll have to pull both of your window seals in order to slide the window through the opening though. But after you get that done, it should come right out. BE AWARE that the two arms on that regulator are SPRING LOADED and have pretty good pressure, easily enough to remove a finger or two. I learned that the hard, but lucky, way when i changed that window motor. Anyways, good luck. JBG is a good place to go for parts though, seeing as how the ford garage wanted 190 just for the rear window motor, and for 65 (plus shipping) i got a new rear window motor.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke