Quarter panel replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VFRF2

Reaction score
I'm in the process of removing the rear quarters on my 91 and need some input on how to remove a certain portion of them.

On the inside there is an area where the quarter is on the inside of an interior panel. I'm not sure if I need to cut the spot welds here or if the panel simply slips out from behind it. My guess is I have to cut the spot welds before moving on to getting it out. Also, on the outside here the where the quarter panel seem meets the top portion of the cab...are there spot welds here that will have to be drilled out? I've attached 2 pics showing what I'm talking about.

Thanks for any input!

qtrpnl1b.JPG

qtrpnl2b.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone! >

The best way to tell is to look at your new quarter. You should be able see what you have to do.

If you don't have the quarter yet then you need to decide how much work you want to create for yourself.

First you are going to have to fight with the fit of a full panel because the aftermarket panels use older dies to stamp the metal so the tolerances are not going to be as close as an OEM panel.

If you use a 3/4 piece then you are going to need to do some cutting and bondo filling to get the fit you want.

Either way you are looking at a lot of work.

Good luck and take some pics of your progress.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
In the second pic of the interior section by the B-pillar, you are correct about the spot welds you have circled holding the panel. On these, it may be better to drill out those spot welds with a special bit designed for that purpose.

In the first pic of the outside joint with the cab, I would continue your cut just below that seam, leaving some of the original metal to attach the new panel to.

Here's the link to a FSB member's write-up on the porcedure. Great pics!!!

quarter panel repair

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph