5.0 vs. 5.8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bronkroach

Reaction score
Het guys thanks for the input on my question about the tops the other day. new question to help me with tryin to find the right bronco. the 5.0 and the 5.8. obviusly the 5.8 has some more balls but is it really that much more to make up for what u lose in gas milage? exactly how much worse is the gas milage in the 5.8? for u out there who have driven both types stock, does the 5.8 really make that much of a difference performance wise? I was thinking it'd be easier just to buy a 5.0 and tweak the engine. but if the gas milage isnt that much worse on the 5.8 id consider goin for it. i've got a list of broncos for sale in my area im goin to look at and im wonderin if i should cancel out all the 5.8s cuz ima have to deal with a commute and its bad enough im bein a stubborn ass and refusin top buy a pansy little economy car cuz i need a bronco to have fun. input is much appreciated guys, this has been the most helpful site ive been to.

p.s. we're talkin 90's full sizers here. i'm not a huge fan of the eb's

audie.a

Reaction score
i have friends with both and we all get around the same mileage..just your preference,and the 5.8 has a little more power. I get around 10 mpg(average)with my 5.8..so i bought a 500$ car for to and from work, rest of the time is in the bronco..i would go with 5.8!!!!!!!!

Seabronc

Reaction score
All the Bronco engines get around the same milage. While you are at it don't overlook the 300 I6. It only has 2 cubes less than the 302 and has a real fan club because of it's pulling and off road ability. the EFI versions get a little better gas milage if every thing on the engine is functioning properly due to it having computer controlled fuel metering. If I had to choose between them, I'd still pick a 351. I would also serioulsy consider a I6 300 due to it's reputation for my next project.

Good luck,

:)>-

BLADE262US

Reaction score
LOL 351 all the way my 89 full size has a 302 and its a nutless wonder runs really good just no power and its all tuned up so cant blame it on that . My 91 has a 5.8 and it will spin 40 inch mickeys . So for power definately the 351 . Seabronc is right the 300 is a workhorse but I just like the sound and power of a V8 :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Bradt

Reaction score
All the Bronco engines get around the same milage.  While you are at it don't overlook the 300 I6.  It only has 2 cubes less than the 302 and has a real fan club because of it's pulling and off road ability.  the EFI versions get a little better gas milage if every thing on the engine is functioning properly due to it having computer controlled fuel metering. If I had to choose between them, I'd still pick a 351.  I would also serioulsy consider a I6 300 due to it's reputation for my next project.
Good luck,

16243[/snapback]

Everything he said. If you're considering the 302 anyway the 300 isn't a bad choice. I know I've run mine out of gas, run it hot, run it cold, towed a trailer, and pushed an RV out of the mud with it. Never really had a problem. It's all those other parts that keep breaking. I'm starting to see some of it's age show now though, but 16 years and 180,000 miles without a rebuild or problem is nothing to sneeze at.

If it's going to be your DD I'll bet you won't take it anywhere that the 6 won't be able to go. The 6 gets much better gas mileage than the 8 does. I'm sitting at around 15-17 mpg. Not great, but it beats the heck out of the 10-12 the other guys are getting. It won't sound as good as the 8, but like seabronc said you're only 2 cubic inches away.

I don't think you could make a bad choice with any of them. It's just a matter of needs. If I was going to have a trail only rig that was going to be doing some MAJOR wheeling I'd consider the bigger engine, but for towing and a DD I like the 6.

brad

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
it amazes me how people talk like bigger is better and we all know it isn't,the 351 in most cases is no more powerful than a 302 if someone knows a bad ass stock on it's probably because of gears,and the 302 being a 2bbl.

yes i'd go with the 351w but the 302 can put out considerable horsepower for little money and parts are alot cheaper than 351w's.

I have 302(040)cammed and 4bbled in a f-250 that runs great,not a race car but runs good,and i get decent gas mileage too.I had a 351w in it before that was a gas hog and had really no power to speak of if i were you i'd go with the 302 cause of part availability and such.remember that's same motor that was in mustangs for how many years?yeah you can find plenty of tech and parts.

if you must go with a 351w you will not find one stock with the power it takes to burn 40's that is really hard to believe for a motor that barely put out 200hp.

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

bronkroach

Reaction score
thanks guys, your all a big help. i'm still leanin towards the 302. im def not doin the I6. u gotta ceep in mind this is an engine im buyin not just a car. im a young motorhed i want my hands on a v8 to work on to tweak some power out of. 302 seems like it'd be easier to work on than the 351 and it sounds like i wont have to do much to get it to crank the same as a 351. this also oipens me up to the 351 idea tho. i'll def be considerin any broncos i find with the 5.8's so the engine doesnt really make a difference in my decision. if i end up gettin a 302- great easy to work on, if i end up gettin a 351 great--more balls to start with. i really just gotta be concerned with gettin a good lookin bronco thats not rusted out.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Well highboy is entitled to his opinion just like the rest of us . I do not agree that parts are much cheaper for a 302 than a 351 . Any of us can pick up a summit or jegs magazine and verify that . And I never said my 91 had stock gearing nor did I say that the motor was stock but my 89 with the 302 is also geared accordingly for the size of tires and it just flat out doesnt have the grunt of the 351 . As for the drag strip yeah your light little race car with a 302 may and probably would make it to the end before my big ole 4X4 with a 351 but then again thats not the trucks element just as if we were to line up at the bottom of a great big ole sand hill do you think youd make it to the top first ? :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And im not saying bigger is always better I am not a fan of big blocks I think the 460 is way too heavy but of the small blocks I would always pick a 351W because physically it is not much bigger than a 302 and without a doubt it makes more power in stock form and is capable of way more in modified form . Oh and heres another example of bigger isnt always better I have a STOCK 3 cyl snowmobile an arctic cat thundercat 1000 that puts out almost 180 HP stock that I have run with an asphault track and asphault skis at the mid michigan motorplex dragstrip . And im telling ya that if your car wont run the 1/4 @ 118 mph in 10 sec then you wouldnt beat it . This is a discussion forum for facts and to help eachother not to make it appear that you know more than anyone else and not to try to make it seem that others are just talking shit . And thats my opinion on that :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
the 351w is agood motor i never said it wasn't and yes you are right it has more grunt.

Seabronc

Reaction score
You say Potato I say Patahto, you like tomatos I like tomathos. No need to get sensitive and I might remind you that being derogatory and taking shots at eachother is against the rules and unnecessary.

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
someone posted a engine chart before that said it all,351's aren't that more expensive to build but they only use thier intake,and some internals, the heads from 302 can be used just have to do some bolt work,the distributers won't exchange,the vavle covers,oil pan,exhaust manifolds will.

the only reason I recomend the 302 is because of how long it's been around and the parts are every where,it's also very easy to find any tech info on it too.

go with what you want they are both good motors,just thought you might want to hear more than one is better than the other.

good luck

oh yeah and your gearing and tires are gonna be a big factor in either motor decision.

sorry about the shots and language i've edited it out of the post.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Both the 302 and 351 have the same block and either can be pumped up to the 500HP range given enough money, but then I probably wouldn't burden that engine with a 5,000 pound anchor to pull around :blink: . After all, if you are going to build a dragster or street racer for that matter why would you start with a Bronco :huh: ?

The Bronco was aptly described by someone on this forum as having the aerodynamics of a brick, well said, whoever said that :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . Quite often I hear the same person who is wanting to get better gas milage wanting to know how to make the Bronco a sh#t and get street racer :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . After all a Bronco, by Ford definition is a Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV) not a sports car. It was designed as an off road vehicle that could be enjoyed by the whole family to get to those more remote places that a normal road vehicle can't :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . If you look at the old advertising pictures, you can see Dad, Mom and the kids out there where no car can go, smiling and looking at the view.

So Bronkroach, make your selection without any real expectations of economy. Power comes at some cost in $'s. I have mine because I like the look of it and it fills a 4x4 requirement I have for getting to certain places my van won't go. I'm not overly impressed with the engine powerand certainly not the economy of it, not to say it doesn't run great, it does :wub: I love my Bronco.

KG4OFQ

Reaction score
I would think it also depends on the rear end to help transfer the power to the road as does the Tranny. As far as I remember the only difference in the 302 and 351 would be the stroke, and the bore is the same between them. So pretty much they are the same but would expect a bit more torque from the 351. Also looking at power range of us, comes the choice of rear gears.

I have an 87 Full Size, 302 and it has 206k miles on her and she is doing just fine. Having to replace the little parts here and there but otherwise good. It has the towing package and has no overdrive. It is terrible on gas, but has good street power.

I do some volunteer work for the local Emergency Operations Command, and I respond out during disasters in either my Bronco or my Amigo. I get to remote locations and set up communications, and sometimes have to circumvent roads to get to my destination.

Another point is driver skill and education. Pick you decision on what you plan to use hte truck for. If its to be an offroad toy only then go 460, but for a daily driver consider the 300. Moderate offroad but more on road then go 302, more of a weekend toy and more offroad than onroad then go 351.

But make sure of the vehicles ability to do what you want it to. Dont get one with a tow package if you are not going to tow anything large.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar