Run a wire through the firewall.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jameswd

Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie non experienced 1990 bronco II question but I want to run a wire ( off road lights) through the firewall. What is the best route to thread the wire through?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
See if you have room to follow some other factory wiring through the firewall. The other option is to drill your own hole but don't hit anything. then use a rubber gromit to keepthe metal from slicing your wire. Put the switch on the lower half of the dash and run your wire as needed. You can run the wire under the dash on the pass side if you have to drill your on hole. Most likly to ave the most ammount of free sace to pick from.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Ditto what Skitter said....and have a fuse in the + line to the lights. You may want to consider a relay for proper amperage to the lights. Then you can run all your + power under the hood and control the relay with a ground(-) signal from the switch.  Then you only need 1 wire through the firewall and no need to tap power...just ground.

Good luck

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo James,

Welcome!

As Mr. SKITTER advised.  If you have an automatic transmission there is probably a rubber or plastic clutch blank cover

I ran wiring through that clutch blank plate and used left-over grommets, etc to seal

Wire is sealed w/silver tape over grommet & Caulking Cord 
Rotate pic using blank's bolts/nuts to be lined-up in vertical position.

Next time, please fill out your Signature with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses.

Click your name in right black panel in upper right;
In pop up,
Click, My Profile
Click, Edit My Profile in right side black panel
In left panel, Click, Edit Signature
Enter info
Click, Save Changes

To post a pic from your PC, TABLET, etc., just below the reply box in lower right corner, click More Reply Options
Screen will change
See Attach files
pick out the pic
Click Attach This File
or click, Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9)
http://www.irfanview.com is a good free image resizer. I 

Post any TECH questions in a new thread in 80-96 Ford Bronco Tech Support section & keep it limited to one issue. Mainly so that old farts such as I don't get confused.
To show off your 90, such as any build-up or modifications post in 80-96 Ford Bronco section.

Here are some wiring diagrams (partial, 86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96) @ http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd 

Al

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
If it helps I can post photos of my Installs for my audio systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I was really curious about running wires through the firewall too. Miesk5 has about the best idea through the pedals. If you want passenger then you get to remove the heater core, the shroud and probably a lot more. I was hoping the A pillar was hollow where it connects to the roof but it is not so no easy run of wire down that and even if you did, removing the fender will still be almost a requirement so that was out.

On the note of your audio system.... To make my off road lights (just finished yesterday) wiring a cinch, I just wired the power to the power distro block that runs my amps. I added a fuse just after the block before the lights and the fuse is easily accessible when needed. Best thing is all that is done behind my rear seat where a 0ga wire from the battery run underneath the truck comes in and the wiring concealed underneath it, behind the inner side panels, and up above the headliner.

The non-cinchy part was reinstalling all the head liner and inner trim. That stuff sucks and I highly recommend a flashlight to spot your ***** holes through the hole in the part you're trying to put up and then just pray you get em in. Still, WAY better than running through the front unless you go through the existing grommets and/or that blank clutch plate OR just drill a new hole (and use a grommet when done).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom