Rear Main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JLarsh

Reaction score
I NEED TO REPLACE MY SEAL AND WAS WANDERING IF THIS IS A PROJECT I CAN DO AT HOME. I HAVE A GOOD SELECTION OF TOOLS AND AM FAIRLY MECHANICAL. IS IT TRUE THAT YOU ONLY HAVE TO DROP THE OIL PAN? ANY TIPS WOULD BE GREAT. THANX GUYS .

Ziggy

Reaction score
What size engine do you have? If it is a 351/400M, yes you can change the rear main. First, get a Haynes or Chilton's manual as they both explain how to do this and you will need the torque sequence for the main bearing caps. If it is a 351/400M, drop the starter, then drain and drop the oil pan. Then, you will have to break the torque on the crank brearing caps and slightly loosen all the bolts and I believe you will have to remove the #5 bearing cap. Replace the bottom seal and push or pull the upper seal out. Install the new upper and lower seals, remember that the seals are off set slightly from the split line of the pan/block. Re-install the #5 bearing cap and re-torque all bearing caps in sequence. Put a good gob of RTV at the corners of the front and rear seals. I like to put a thin coat of RTV on one side of the oil pan side gaskets to hold them in place. Re-install the oil pan and tighten all the bolts. Put a new oil filter on, don't forget to add oil and start your engine, let in idle for a bit to reset the bearing caps. Then watch for any oil leaks over the next couple of days. When you have the oil pan off, clean it out, also clean all your oil pan bolts off as this makes installation a lot easier. Some people will say just use a good bead of RTV along the side of the oil pan and leave the cork out, but I have found that the pan doesn't seal as good. Last but not least, ready to get oil in your face as the engine will drip oil the whole time your doing this.

Billz4x4z

Reaction score
Just like he said.The only thing ya might have to do is take the motor mounts loose and raise the motor a little to gain better access for removal of the oil pan.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke