89 302 not getting fuel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dahb3arz

Reaction score
So i have a 1989 bronco with a 302, and the motor isn't getting fuel, my pumps are working my relay is good, changed the fuel filter, and my lines are clear, I also changed out my fuel injection pressure regulator. I'm not really good with this stuff yet, and i don't wanna pay to take it to a shop. Is there anything i could be missing???

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo D,

Welcome!

89 Bronco Fuel pressure:
Running: 30-45psi
Key on engine off: 35-45psi
For low pressure pump diagnosis :
-attach test lead to FP lead on VP test connector. Make sure test lead is long enough to reach work area under vehicle

Grounding the FP lead at the DLC will allow the pumps to run continuously with the ignition switch on.

a9465b.gif

-Turn key to RUN position
-Raise vehicle on hoist and bring test lead to a convenient point for grounding
-Ground test lead and listen at fuel tank for low pressure pump operation. (it may help to disconnect high pressure pump electrical connections)
-Is pump running? If yes read C1, if no read C2

C1
Remove ground from test lead
-Disconnect pressure line from pump at reservoir inlet fitting
-obtain a 1 quart or more container
-place fuel line is reservoir and operate pump for 5 seconds
-Is fuel level at least 6 ounces?
If yes then the pump is good.
If no then attmpt to restrict lines to build up pressure and also check for line blockage,

C2
-If no check all electrical locations related to fuel pumps (theyre on same circuit
-Make sure HP pump is running
-any electrical problem found?
-If no then replace pump

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal BroncoJoe @ http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/?pid=74587&mode=threaded

Of course, do key on engine off

Post any codes found here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke