92 ford bronco xlt 5.8l need help with codes reads error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Romanbronco92

Reaction score
So I recently bought a 92 bronco xlt 5.8l and its running rough as I drive sounds like its running off of 7 cylinders so I think a old fashioned tune up is what I need but as I drive the check engine light goes on and off so I went to a mechanic two different ones they both plugged into it but they both can not read the codes it said error for both places **** it back to the guy I bought it from gave me a run around . I don't know how or why this problem is happing can anyone help

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Romanbronco92,
Welcome,
Scan Tool Won't Initiate Self-Tests; malfunctioning Electronic Engine Control (EEC) Relay in a 92; Jeremy wrote on Page 2; "...I was able to get codes the old fashioned way by counting the flashes on dashboard, so I think that would eliminate any prospect of it being something in the wiring; ....As luck would have, it appears that changing out the old EEC relay did the trick. At first I didn't think it would. Instead of using wire from the self test connector to the battery, I plugged it directly into the connector on the tool and went through the KOEO code retreival process and lo and behold I got codes..I even got the KOER test to work as well..."; miesk5 Note; If the CEL is burned out, connect CEL © to a 12V test light, and the light's other terminal to a 12V source on the same vehicle..."

Or quicker, show this to the mechanics;
poor-ground.jpg

Can run a wire like that in this self test:

Do the Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19
Some basics;
The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.
Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse.
Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.
Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.
Do KOEO test First
Post Code(s) here according to:
KOEO
&
[SIZE=28.8239px]KOER[/SIZE]

[SIZE=28.8239px]some no code usual perpetrators;[/SIZE]

Are plug wire routed as shown on decal atop radiator support?

at night, engine runnirunning, look for blue arcarcing arround plug wires.

Diagrams by Tank92 (Tank) @ http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/5180/32495

Vacuum leak, see my post #20 @ http://broncozone.com/topic/23994-90-58l-getting-continuous-code-33-and-running-code-44/?p=125535
Air filter, is it relatively clean?
Air inlet atop radiator support to filter box and to throttle body; look for obstruction; damaged or opening in tubing after the filter box.
Fuel quality; Oxidized fuel often turns darker over time and may even smell sour. You can check stored gasoline by pouring some into a clear glass container and comparing it side-by-side with known fresh gasoline. If your old sample looks noticeably darker than the fresh gas, you have strong evidence the gas has gone bad.

OP
OP
R

Romanbronco92

Reaction score
I will give it a shot thanks I will post back if anything changes or stays the same

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo