Mounting Side Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slygh1993

Reaction score
I have a set of Bully AS-600 side steps that were given to me. I cant seem to find a decent way to mount them to my 96 so that they will support weight. Does any body have a similar set of steps? if so.. how did you mount them? thanks

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Syl,
Google for;
bully as-600 installation instructions
Click Videos
First result will be;
"OBS F-Series Side Step InstallYouTube app - 7 months ago" same as your Bronco
Now click "All" & seach again for;
bully as-600 installation instructions
First result will be AS-600 Instr. - Pilot Automotive.

PAGE 1 EXCERPTS:
"Before you start installing ,read these instructions and make sure you understand them. * * Do not install this product to your vehicle if the vehicle's body metal is rusted or otherwise damaged. * Before drilling any holes, be sure the area is clear of any obstacle such as fuel lines, brake lines, wire harnesses, A/C lines, etc. Be careful not to damage the painted body area. * Do not modify step or installation hardware. Use step only on vehicles listed on application chart. Install aluminum steps following these instructions only * Use steps to enter and exit vehicle only. IMPORTANT: Bully assumes no liability for any damage or injury caused by customer's failure to adhere to the warnings and the directions of this instructions. BEFORE INSTALLATION: Check your vehicle's body metal (rocker panel) underneath to determine which group your vehicle's body belongs to. (Refer to the application chart on the following page). Follow the instructions for your vehicle only. INSTRUCTIONS FOR GROUP A, B, C : 1. Find a proper position to mount the step. Hint: For correct placement, the center of the step should be in line with the front edge of the seat's frame, also the step's mounting legs should be able to lay flat against the vehicle’s rocker panel. 2. With the step in place, mark a vertical line along the center of the step onto the pinch weld ****** of the rocker panel. Note: Some truck models may need this ****** to be bent into a vertical position ( see detail on Fig. A inserted diagram). Measure 4 1/16" out on each side of the marked line and mark these points on the pinch weld ******. The Dimension between the two outside lines should be 8 1/8” . 3. Drill a 3/8" hole on these points. Before drilling make sure you center the 3/8” drill bit on the ******, use a center punch and 1/8” drill bit to drill a pilot hole for best results. Important: Make sure the area where you will be drilling is free and clear of all obstructions. 4. Place the step onto its mounting position, push the step up as far as it will go so the bottom of the mounting plate is even with the bottom of the pinch weld. Make sure the step is level and mark a point to each of the step's two legs through the 3/8” holes just drilled. 5. Remove the step and use a 3/8" drill bit to drill a hole on marked points on the step. 6. FOR GROUP A: ( See Fig. A) a. Place the step onto the vehicle, using 5/16" x 1 1/8” bolts, nuts and washers, assemble the step to the body and hand tighten for now (see Fig A.). b. Using the 1/8" drill bit, drill a hole through the body metal using the top 1/4" hole on the step as a guide. Install and tighten 1" sheet metal screws in the upper hole. Now tighten all the previously installed bolts to complete the installation. 7. FOR GROUP B: (See Fig. B) a. Place the step onto the vehicle, using the 5/16" x 2” bolts, nuts and washers, assemble the “U” shaped spacers and step as shown in (Fig B.) through the hole on the pinch weld ******. Hand tighten for now. b. Using the 1/8" drill bit, drill a hole through the body metal using the top 1/4" hole on the step as a guide. Install and tighten 1" sheet metal screws in the upper hole. Now tighten all the previously installed bolts to complete the Installation. 8. FOR GROUP C: (See Fig. C) a. Place the step onto the vehicle, using the 5/16" x 1 1/8” bolts, nuts and washers, assemble the step to the body and leave hand loose for now. Place the two plastic wedges between the upper portion of the step and body metal (see Fig. C). b. Move the wedges up and down until the step is level, using the 1/4” hole on the step, mark the location onto the wedges while holding the step in place. Remove the wedges, drill a 1/4" hole out the marked points. c. Place the wedges back into place, drill a 1/8" hole through the step and the wedge to the body metal, use the 1" sheet metal screws to tighten the step, the wedge and body metal together. Now tighten all the previously installed bolts to complete the installation. MOUNTING HARDWARE LIST: x8 5/16" x 1 1/8" Bolt x8 x4 x16 x8 5/16" x 2" Bolt 5/16" x 18 Nut 5/16" Washer Sheet Metal ***** x4 "C" Shaped Bracket x4 "U" Shaped Spacer x4"
Took me 12 minutes to copy just that.

Pick out Group that applies.
It's shown sideways so I gave up trying to copy with my cheap tablet.

COMPARE to Carr Side Step Installation in a 90 Bronco
by Iolaus

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke