help! info needed on 87 only caster adjuster on bottom of axle @ r

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sharpshooter109

Reaction score
ive been trying to figure out an issue with my 87 bronco.  ive tracked it down to an issue with the caster adjuster on the bottom of the driver's side axle, where the radius arm bolts to the axle.  i havent been able to find ANY info on these adjusters, and they appear to be a one or 2 year only item, as my buddy's 86 doesnt have them, and my 89 doesnt have them either.  here's a picture of what I'm talking about. this is the passenger side on my 87 which is still in tact:

the radius arm goes out to the right of the picture and the front of the bronco is towards the left of the picture, for reference.  note the small bolt holding the adjuster into place.

here's the driver's side which is clearly broken:

the bolt that holds it into place has sheared off flush in the radius arm.  finding this brings up several questions.  how did this happen?  can i just extract the broken bolt and put a new one?  shouldnt the large bolt holding the bottom of the radius arm to the axle apply enough force to keep the adjuster from moving, even without the bolt?

so far i have found 0 references to this caster adjuster except for one thread that mentions it on another forum, but nothing else.  if anyone has ANY info, or access to an 87 factory service manual, i'd really appreciate the help!  thanks in advance!

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Shooter,

This was one of Fords "better ideas"  that wasn't.

You should take the truck to an alignment shop and have the alignment checked .  Caster won't wear tires, however it will effect the way the truck handles to an extent.

The large bolt should be able to be tightened to keep the caster angle set. 

I have, in the past drilled through one of the small holes and put a grd 8 bolt through to hold the adjustment cam.

What issue are you having with the truck. You never mentioned the actual problem.

Good Luck 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke