89' 351W EFI Swap in 73'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Left Coast Bronco

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 351W 5.8L EFI out of an 89 Bronco that I got from a good buddy of mine for free that I was going to rebuild and install into my 73. I also have a 4R70W that I scored out of a 1999 Explorer 5.0 4x4 on craigslist for really cheap. I am planning to use the Holley ****** EFI and Quick4 Trans computer. 

My questions are:
1. Will this combo work with the required adapter to the Dana 20 and output/ drive shaft modifications?
2. Do I have to install the wiring harness from the 89 into my EB. I hope not since I will be running individual units for the EFI and Trans. If so I may just scrap the entire thing as that seems really complicated and I only have about 250 bucks into this so far?

I thought i would convene with the Bronco masters before I spend the money to rebuild the engine and transmission.

Really appreciate your comments.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi LCB.., welcome....

Keep up the research. You may find you're "re-inventing the wheel".., with a few loose spokes.

These Ford EFI engines/engine internals/computers/trannies,etc. are engineered to function as a unit.

NOT that it can't be done.., depending on ones engineering/mechanical skills.

Use this sites "search" button (top right) search EFI swap, etc.

OP
OP
L

Left Coast Bronco

Reaction score
Yeah I have been.  Im borderline obsessed.  Im not really trying to use the existing efi from the 89'.  In fact I would rather nor.  I am more asking to see if I can treat the 351W out of the 89 as on old school 351W.  Im basically trying to see if its just the EFI that is controlled by the newer 89' computer or wiring harness and if I can be completely omit it and use a carburetor until I save up for the Holley ******* since they are around 1300 out the door.  

any feedback would be muchly appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom