transmissions for '83 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orogopher

Reaction score
Orogopher here...I've never been a fan of the automatic transmission in 4 x 4's...with that being said......is there a ...heavy duty 5 speed manual ... that will bolt up to the '83beast 4x4 with the 351-w....I was told that the heavy duty c-6....is the same one used in airport tugs that pull the larger jet ,liners around the airport....with that being said.....how good is the c-6 in off road conditions...(use...not abuse)...and in a urban enviroment and MPG.....when compared to a heavy duty manual....for the same year and conditions :)>-

OP
OP
O

orogopher

Reaction score
Orogopher here...I've never been a fan of the automatic transmission in 4 x 4's...with that being said......is there a ...heavy duty 5 speed manual ... that will bolt up to the '83 beast 4 x 4 with the 351-w....I was told that the heavy duty c-6....is the same one used in airport tugs that pull the larger jet ,liners around the airport....with that being said.....how good is the c-6 in off road conditions...(use...not abuse)...also in an urban enviroment / MPG.....when compared to a heavy duty manual....for the same year and conditions :)>-
"what i said...is not what you heard....rather what you thought i said & what you wanted to hear "

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

We had a 78 with C6 and it operated flawlessly for years.  Had minor pan leaks, but was easily repaired.  It ran well off road; easy to run through mud and sand.

It got about 12 MPG in combined highway and some off roading through the pinelands.

A manual transmission  would get a little better MPG but would be same off road due to stopping & idling around trees, water, rock  and other obstacles.

Highway MPG woukd be about 2 to 3 MPG better at a steady speed. 

78 pic;

78-bronco-ranger-19.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
O

orogopher

Reaction score
Thank you...I don't do a lot of 4x4ing...but I do still go into the back country when I'm PROSPECTING for gold....outside of that....I don't abuse my 4x4$...but when I need 4wheelvdrive and gear to gear responce....for what ever I'm doing....it's nice to have....I learned to drive on a stick shift.....I just like them better than automatics....another reason....much less to go wrong when iam in the back country and....manuals can be fixed...for the most part in the feild....if only to hobble back home in first gear or reverse.....but with automatics....you loose hydronic pressure....or loose fluid...you ain't going nowhere....and in an emergency situation....a manual in that....

GOLDEN HOUR TO SAVE A LIFE...IS ALMOST FAIL SAFE

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo