Starting Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orogopher

Reaction score
Hi ....Yall.....

new to the sight......But a lifelong Ford Man...any way.....i also just ran into this no start problem ...but first......  a little history...

i have..... what most refer to as "TH BEAST OF THE BRONCOS"....yes 1983 full size...351w....heavy Duty C-6 auto tranny..

{i just wish it was a 5speed Manual}andhas an under carrige that is as...tough& as rugged as you can get......it had been sitting in a friend of a friends back yard under an old Chinese elm tree...get this......for 21 years....had almost 10 inch layer of leaves......just sitting there waiting there for me to rescue it....traded approx $500 in tree trimming for it....fast forward...for under $400.....the beast roared to life....got it running purrfect...not a ...stock intake or carb.   ...wasnt road leagle yet so...i parked it...until.....i ....was ready to register it......went to start it crank but no start...

dont get it......was running great.....HAD SPARK BUT VERY WEAK.......AFTER...3/4 OF A DAY AND MUCH TESTING OF DIFFERENT COMPONENTS ... i found this site....love it....anyway...after reading one of your post...i traced the flow of voltage...

and it was...so far it seems it was.....the ignition switch on the steering coloume installed the new one.. ....well much stronger spark now..at least i can see it now.... thefirst couple of times testing for spark....i couldn't see  ...BUT I SURE FELT IT....and i knew better.....just because you cant see something.....dont mean it cant bite ya.....yes i have a meter.....im just old school...screwdriver to a ground.......anyway this 83 has a duraspark 3 ignition system ...with a Canadian distributor. cap & rotor.......and the contact on the top of the rotor..is nothing more than a sewing needle...now its gone.....but guys/gals....some usefull FYI.....  that distribtor wasnt the orignal that came with the beast....and was why the previous owners couldnt get ir running again.....knowledge ..is power.....what happend is they switched the distrib.....with the canidian one....and it almost got me also....after a couple of days of not getting spark....it was t.d.c.....fireing order correct.....OR I THOUGHT....i took off the distrib. cap and looking to see if it was cracked....nope no crack.and i had put the plug wires on following the fireing order......but....WHAT KILLED THEM AND ALMOST ME.(figureitly)..it almost drove me nuts....but then i seen it .is that the canadian model has double contacts in cap and on the rotor.....although....i had the fireing order corect if it was an American distrib.being that it wasnt......american turns counter clock wise....and in turn counts out the proper firing order....BUT THE CANADIAN  BRONCO DISTRIBUTOR.....ROTATES IN THE SAME DIRECTION....BUT INSTEAD OF...CONTACTING IN ORDER ...AFTER#1 CYL....THE FIREING ORDER IS ONE AFTER THE OTHER...COUNTER CLOCK WISE......THE CANADIAN BRONCO DISTRIBUTOR.....HITS THE FIREING ORDER IN A STAR PATTERN...AS SOON AS I SEEN THAT ....I.SWITCHED OUT THE PLUG WIRES TO MATCH THE THAT STAR PATTERN......BAM....THE BEAST ROARD TO LIFE AFTER SITTING 21 YEARS ...JUST WANT TO THANK YOU ALL....IVE LEARNED MUCH ABOUT  BRONCOS IGN. SYSTEM......AND MANY SHORT CUTS IN TESTING.....IT......OH DID I MENTION ....MY 83 BEAST ONLY HAS 8,145 ORGINAL MILES....AND THE TREE IT SAT UNDER ALONG WITH THE LEAVES ON IT...ACTED LIKE A PROTECTANT SHEILD...FOR THOSE 21 YEARS....FOR BEING OUTSIDE IN THE ELEMENTS.....ITS EMACTULATE SHAPE......WELL TILL NEXT TIME......OROGOPHER....OUT

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo OROGOPHER,

Welcome and thanks for the history of your 83!

fyi;

Next time, please fill out your Signature with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses.

Click your name in right black panel in upper right;
In pop up,
Click, My Profile
Click, Edit My Profile in right side black panel
In left panel, Click, Edit Signature
Enter info
Click, Save Changes

To post a pic from your PC, TABLET, etc., just below the reply box in lower right corner, click More Reply Options
Screen will change
See Attach files
pick out the pic
Click Attach This File

or click, Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9) 

Keep each post limited to one issue.

Our sponsor, Jeff at the Bronco Graveyard has offered a 2% discount to members of The BroncoZone for on line orders. To get your discount, enter the discount code BZMEMBER. Also you must include your BroncoZone User Name with the order. 
http://broncograveyard.com

Here are some wiring diagrams (partial, 86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96) @ http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd 

1983 Bronco Operating Guide... click image to enlarge.. -Over-

opguide83b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22