86 Fuel Reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M1llionb

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a new fuel reservoir from Amazon, since the one I currently have leaks gas from the area arrows point to. I checked the fuel lines and noticed they are not the problem, "causing the leak." I was driving and some lady forced me to hit the street median, ever since that incident, it has leaked. I was assuming maybe a gasket or a clamp fell off causing the problem, but couldnt find an online picture of a fuel reservoir with any gasket or clamp. I'm considering purchasing the part on Amazon, since my local auto part store does not have part. I wanted to know if anyone can help confirming gasket missing or clip, needed to prevent leak prior to me purchasing new fuel reservoir. Thank you

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo M,

Here is info that I have collected;

Single-Function Reservoir Disassembly; "....More then likely you'll need to remove the transfer case skid plate for more working room BUT you CAN get the bottom part to unscrew if you use the right tool to get it tight enough and have leverage to loosen it PITA that it is. There's probably a lot of built up road grit in and around the threading so use some PB Blaster etc. Think out of the box on this one and get creative with a tool ...but there's no need to remove the top part. The top part (cap) of the reservior has these little spring loaded pressure valves on each side where the lines go to inside to keep the reservior full, the bottom half threads are similar to "pipe" threads so they're tappered for a tight seal so it does take a bit of energy to get it free.....BECAREFULL because it's plastic and if you break any part of it you won't be able to drive the BKO. The O ring can be a PITA also just read above and work at it carefully..."

Source: by JKossarides ("The Bronco", Jean )

Single-Function Reservoir in 84-89; "...The PN for the filter is given, but you shouldn't actually have a filter in there. It should be an external inline filter further up the frame rail - you only buy the reservoir filter to get the O-ring, and only then if you have some reason to open the reservoir bowl. Unless you're having fuel delivery problems that you've isolated to the reservoir, you should never open it..." Miesk5 NOTE; Steve deleted his posts here in the Zone.

&

Single-Function Reservoir O Ring; "The Ford engineering number on the filter is E6TZ-9365-A. A reservoir marked "DO NOT REMOVE CUP" does not contain a filter. For a replacement O-ring for the cup, buy a NAPA 3268 (or equivalent) filter..."

singlefunctionreservoir.jpg

&

88 Single-Function Reservoir

Used on '88-89 Broncos & F-series/E-series/Rangers/others with single tank dual-pump EFI. In this version, the only moving part is the tank-side inlet check valve. The return ports flow freely and are NOT connected to the reservoir. The engine-side supply port is open to the reservoir.

To test it, unplug the frame fuel pump, disconnect the engine-side supply (large) line, and cycle the key. If fuel flows out of the reservoir ******, the reservoir is working normally. If not, disconnect the tank-side supply (large) line, and cycle the key. If fuel flows out of the line, the reservoir check valve is probably stuck, or its internal filter is clogged.

A reservoir marked "DO NOT REMOVE CUP" does not contain a filter.

For a replacement O-ring for the cup, buy a NAPA 3268, Fram CG3862, or equivalent filter.

To permanently eliminate the reservoir, use these Dorman fuel tubes. http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-12461-800-159.aspx

sflowleft.jpg

88-91 Single-Function Reservoir (SFR) Fuel Flow

Fuel flows in through the larger tank-side supply ****** from the in-tank pump to the inlet check valve, which allows it into the reservoir. As the cup fills, fuel moves up the pickup tube & out the larger engine-side supply ******. Unused fuel enters the engine-side return ******, bypasses the blocked-off check valve ('88 revision) and exits the tank-side return ******.

The only fault that would cause a noticeable problem would be for the check valve to stick closed, blocking any fuel from entering the reservoir, but this isn't likely. With the cup removed (have a replacement cup O-ring in-hand before attempting), a sharp pick can be used to pull the valve downward & open. The valve cannot be removed from the reservoir body.

Source: by Steve, @ Ford Bronco Zone Forums

I have never worked on these reservoirs.

nelbur

Reaction score
In my '86 302 EFI that is the only filter.   There is an o-ring that seals the area you say is leaking.   The o-ring comes with the filter and is a pain to get in properly so it does not leak. I would buy the filter and o-ring and work with it until you get it to seal.   I think I may have used something like rubber cement to keep the o-ring in place.   I don't intend to change it again.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Good stuff Nelbur!

Single-Function Reservoir Disassembly in an 86;

"I found that the only tool I could get to unscrew that damn canister was a rubber lined adjustable oil filter wrench. It was a cheapy wrench that I got at like Kmarts or something. It worked great for this job. 

Now for the o-ring, **** it in some vaseline an it should stay in place a lot easier. 
When mine went bad on my old 86, I was getting a lot of hestations, backfires from my lean mixtures. Even had the cops called on me for shooting a gun out the window in a neighborhood 
doh0715.gif
Source: by sackman9975 (Scott

"Invest in a Craftsman "strap" wrench which makes the bottom bowl removal a snap and that there are no gaps after you install the new filter which goes in hole up with O ring, screwing the bottom back on.

I like to use an almost dry small paint brush with a little Permatex to run it around in the track for the O ring, set a big roll of tape on top until it sets up so it won't move on you when you ***** the bowl back on otherwise if you crush the O ring you render it useless and fuel will **** out every where when you fire it up and you'll have to get another O ring and start over." Source: by JKossarides ("The Bronco", Jean )

OP
OP
M1llionb

M1llionb

Reaction score
So, the filter which has the O-ring is E6TZ-9365-A? I'm afraid O-ring won't seal correctly and leak still takes place. 

I'm preparing for the worst, assuming O-ring option does not work. Therefore, I'm searching for fuel reservoir, but I can not find this "1986 Ford Bronco Fuel Reservoir Ford OEM E6TZ-9K044-A" 

I found a link that offers the part https://www.1aauto.com/1985-86-ford-fuel-reservoir-ford-oem-e6tz-9k044-a/i/fdeff00013?f=1069465&y=1986&utm_campaign=gb_csv_br&utm_content=EFF&gclid=CIWs35L1ydICFU9bfgodDekO5w  but I'm trying to find an alternative price. 

OP
OP
M1llionb

M1llionb

Reaction score
Thank you all for the information! I'm picking up the O-ring and Permatex today from Napa. Hope to get you good news tomorrow! 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

YW!

Ford engineering number on the filter is E6TZ-9365-A.

O-ring for the cup is NAPA 3268.

Sone parts stores will mix-up the Ford engineering number

with a part number and give you this when you order E6TZ-9365-A 

acf-fg800a_cp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M1llionb

M1llionb

Reaction score
So, I bought the filter and then replaced it. The reservoir was not leaking anymore, therefore, I test drove the Bronco. It was running great.... Previously, I was getting a lot of hesitation and it went away by replacing filter. Long story short, I parked the truck and checked it again... and now its leaking again. I made sure there were no gaps, but its still leaking. So, I'm assuming, 1. I ruined the ring, 2. I didnt place the ring in the correct place. 3. The reservoir is bad. Where does the O-ring go? I placed it inside the bowl. And used Permatex to keep it in place. But it seems like it's leaking so much more than in the past.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

I don't  see the pictures.

I have no idea if the new O Ring is damaged, etc.

Read what Nelbur did.

OP
OP
M1llionb

M1llionb

Reaction score
Miesk,

I'll try taking the bowl off again this evening, hopefully, I can get this taken care of today. It's bothering the **** out of me lol. I'm just afraid, the reservoir is broken, or damaged since, I got a little agitated, tightening the bowl. This time, I'll try and take pictures. I've noticed sometimes, I'm not allowed to upload pictures, says "files too big." How can I bypass that message?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

I tried looking for the Single-Function Reservoir parts break-out diagram and O ring instructions,  but nada.  May need to grab a Haynes red cover manual from local library.  Trying to attach photo.

http://broncozone.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-3816-0-73144400-1387894675_thumb.jpg

I did  find this Dual Function Reservoir;

d02top.jpg

"After thoroughly cleaning the outside of the reservoir assembly and loosening the cup, remove the reservoir from the vehicle & re-clean it. Do not allow anything other than carb cleaner into the *******. Do not use silicone grease anywhere near the fuel system. "

Hopefully Nelbur cacan provide better info.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo M,

www.irfanview.com is a free image resize

Go to photobucket.com and select sign up if you don't already have an account

OP
OP
M1llionb

M1llionb

Reaction score
Hello miesk, 

So, I successful opened the fuel reservoir, come to find out, the O-ring is ruined. I called Autozone, they will have the part ready for pick up this afternoon. Therefore, I'll start off from scratch. The good thing, I have more daylight, because of daylight savings. I took pictures, which I'll upload here in a sec. 

I hope they are helpful. 

OP
OP
M1llionb

M1llionb

Reaction score
I'll take more this afternoon, with the fuel filter inside the bowl and the ring in the correct location. 
I have no idea why it rotated the image after I posted it. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno