To swap or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kybronco

Reaction score
Swap Dana 30 to 44 or not? Well I'm sure the subject is getting beat to death but I keep seeing articles on how the Dana 30 is trash and how you need the 44 especially if you want bigger tires.

Which I'm thinking 35 on the tire size.

So when I looked at Jeffs they have 44 Dana new with different gearing but says it's a for a jeep and not a direct bolt in.

So what all is involved with putting the 44 under it?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
D-44's are readily available (used) at several EB parts houses.  From there, you'd have to (re)build it to your desires.

i.e. R&P gears, bearings, ball joints, wheel-hubs, spindles, seals, axle u-joints, locking hubs, etc.

Probably look'n at $1K depending on locker or posi or open options.

As to the D-30 being "trash" (according to the articles)..., that's a lotta BS..!! 

Any neglected (for 30 years) component is going to be a "run-out"

My D-30 had 25 yrs. on it when I bought the rig.  I put over a decade more on it B/4 I brought it back to spec.

Cleaned things up.., new bearings & u-joints, etc.   Not much $$$ at all.

Several D-30 & D-44 parts are the same or are the same size.

The prev. owner nor I babied this rig..!! Bigger tires & nasty trails..!

Rock crawling.., then ya, D-44 may be better but, many other up-grades are needed as well.

Axle service 003.JPG

Axle service 002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
kybronco

kybronco

Reaction score
Bob you are one passionate man lol. I don't really intend on rock crawling or really taking it off road much. I do want that look though with the bigger tires bigger suspension bigger lol everything. So if I could keep the 30 maybe replacing the gearing and seals and such I'd be ok with it like I said I've seen a lot of articles saying the 30 won't handle the tires and saying how you would be wasting money trying to beef up the 30 so I'm just asking for opinions as to what direction to go because once I have everything apart it will be time to put it back the way I want but i only want to do it right once lol Thanks!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Ya.., you're stuck with me..,   :lol:   seems all the other EB jocks on this site are busy or...????

Can't seem to get any help or other opinions.... :-"

Big lifts affect your CG.  RU keeping the I-6..?  On the road.., the front wheels are just "following" so to speak.

They're not pull'n/driving under power.

Lockers & rock-crawling may be rough on a D-30..., however a lot has to do with the driver.

Both front D-30 axles can be serviced up to spec. in half a day. (I never did it B/4 & that's what it took me)

".......seen a lot of articles saying the 30 won't handle......."

My guess these articles refer to rough-n-tumble 4x4'n.

I'm living proof they're more than adequate on street., and on normal & tough trails.

I cruise at 70 mph road.., & out run every other rig out on the trails here in this hard-pak desert.

If I don't climb a hill..., no one else dares to try.

BTW, many folks think all jeeps had D-30's..., they're not., & they're weaker than the Bronco.

It's your choice. I don't talk folks into anything.   Just facts & opinion is all that's in my quiver...  >:D< <'>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JWBronco1996