Fuel Pump Relay removal 88 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheOGway

Reaction score
I'll try to make this short and sweet. My 88 won't start up. It cranks but never turns over. The truck doesn't prime when in the ON position, but the fuel pump relay clicks. The truck almost starts when you spray into the air hose. I am wondering what I need to focus on. Could it be the faulty fuel pump relay? I am trying to fix everything that might be the problem before I have to drop down the tank, I don't have the time or money to do that right now (i've been dealing with this for about a year now) and I just need some help tips and pointers to get this thing back on the road. i asked another forum but they have not helped me. Thanks.

Reaction score
The clicking is from the relay gone bad under the hood. It's the green connection. That should fix it. You should here it turning on when the key is in the on position.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Use a volt meter to check for 12V at the pump.  If not, troubleshoot back to the relay.  A likely problem is the inertia safety switch under the dash on the right side of the truck.  They ave a reputation of getting too sensitive and tripping when they get old.  It has a white button sticking out of it, try pressing it in.

:)>-

I don't have the diagram at hand on this computer, Al can you supply the diagram?

Reaction score
If it's not on the right side. Check above the brake pedal. My is a 89 and I had to search to find it there.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Fred and OG,

As requested;

Wiring Diagrams in an 88;

bronco-1989-fuel-system--pg-92.gif by SeattleFSB

Inertia Switch Location in an 88 & pic; "..firewall forward of the e-brake & clutch pedals..."

inertiasw88.jpg

inertia-switch-1.jpg

inertia-switch-2.jpg

Overview; "...The inertia fuel shutoff switch is a safety device which interrupts fuel pump power in the event of a collision. If the inertia fuel shutoff switch is ‘‘tripped’’ it must be reset by depressing the button on top of the switch..." location described is for other years

Source: by Ford motorcraftservice

Fuel Pump Relay Socket Corrosion Info; "...if you had corrosion in your relay socket, then you probably have it other places. one at a time unplug all relays and connectors on that fender and spray them down with contact cleaner. then after you let that do it's job for about 30min-1hr, go back and unplug each relay and connector again (one at a time) this time put them together with di-electric grease. you can buy a tube of it from any electrical/electronics supply or auto store. make sure you get everything plugged back in..."

Source: by datrimm (HiTechRedNeck)

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/?pid=74587&mode=threaded

Some basics;

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test; and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test if you cwn get it running.

Make sure A/C switch is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Then turn off all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test for now

Post Code(s) here

Screenshot_20161210-125043.png

Screenshot_20161210-125057.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161210-125043.png
    Screenshot_20161210-125043.png
    251.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20161210-125057.png
    Screenshot_20161210-125057.png
    292.3 KB · Views: 5

Members online