bronco wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigd977

Reaction score
So i have a 1989 ford bronco 5.8 4x4 so my question is it wont start at all. All it does is click from the solenoid so i thouht i needed a new one so i went and got one put it in and nothing. So i put a new starter on it and the same thing nothing have power in the cab but wont turn on tryed to jump it from the solenoid still nothing just clicks. I am know thinking its the neutral safety switch but is has power going to it so i am all out of options can somebody please help

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo BigD,

I assume that you have good battery voltage over 12.6 volts on red/light blue wire through NSS to the small terminal on relay (it is at top of the relay as shown in below pic) @ passenger side fender liner when turning key to start?

Relay pic in an 89 5.8

89broncostrtrelay.jpg

Source: by Handy_andy_cv64 (Ed B)

Inspect battery clamps, cables and wire strands for corrosion, damage or looseness. Include ground cables from battery post to engine, etc. and positive cable from battery to relay to starter.

Is relay securely mounted to a Rust/Grime Less section of fender?

Some non-Ford Motorcraft relays are being reported as Defective

, such as; "...second bad brand new AutoZone Valucraft starter solenoid (relay) by Cody8892000

This can also be due to a dead battery cell. Sometimes, a battery will have just one cell go bad or short out. When this happens, the battery will seem fully charged, but fail to start the Bronco, or it may start the Bronco right after charging, but then fail to crank. I had a dead cell that did same; no crank then after turning to start a few times, it would crank.

"...Why are the cables and battery so important? The starter circuit pulls a lot of amperage, up to 500 amps depending on the starter, the engine load, and battery condition. This kind of amperage stresses all of the components in the starter circuit, including the battery, battery terminals, the battery disconnect switch, the cables including the ground path, and any remote solenoids. Problems with these components are hard to find because they appear fine at rest or under a light load, but generate high resistance under heavy amperage draws. The result will be low voltage to the starter during cranking, resulting in heavier amperage draw and increased internal heat in the starter. Over time, this will cause starter failure. Voltage measured at the starter during cranking should always be above 9.5VDC..."

Source: by powermastermotorsports

Take it to a local parts store for a free test.

Here is your 89 start system wiring diagram

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=21146

&

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=21147

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar