74 Bronco weird rattle noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Florida Bronco

Reaction score
I just fixed the power problem on my 74 Bronco everything was driving great and it still is as of now but I went to riding on it earlier and hit the gas one good time for some spectators and now there is a small not very loud rattle noise coming from the front of the motor I'm not sure what it could be since everything is new unless something is defective. The motor is the only thing that is not new but the noise is just loud enough to echo out and hear it outside. It is not a knocking noise it is a rattle noise that gets worse when you give it more rpm or gas

OP
OP
F

Florida Bronco

Reaction score
Alternator

Water pump

Fuel pump

Billet dual serpentine belt system

Dual electric fans

All of this is new on the front

OP
OP
F

Florida Bronco

Reaction score
Still inspecting the problem sounds like metal on metal rattle around the alternator front side of motor but I still can't pinpoint exactly where has anyone else had this problem

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Take the belts off one at a time.  Usually this is a water pump issue..., although an alt. bearing can do this as well.

UPDATE--- Meaning run the eng. with belts off to see if noise is gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

Florida Bronco

Reaction score
Do you think there is something else I need to adjust to prevent the next water Pump from doing the same

Possibly radiator replacement because of fluid blockage since the water pump on it now only has about 200 miles on it but the sound is very similar to every YouTube video relating to the waterpump

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
 Via your last post.., is it correct to assume you have discovered, for a fact, it is a water pump issue..??

If so.., what brand/where was it purchased...?

Water pumps have sealed bearings & are sealed up in their own environment. However, seals can fail &

water can seep into the bearing causing failure. They are designed to dribble water upon seal failure.

A quality water pump would be the best cure.

OP
OP
F

Florida Bronco

Reaction score
I put a short pvc pipe to it but it doesn't sound like it is coming from the water pump I'll attempt to upload a video

OP
OP
F

Florida Bronco

Reaction score
I've loosened up the tensioner arm to the alternator and it fixed the problem temporarily but I believe the bearing in the alternator is going out how much play is allowed for 1 1/2 wide groove serpentine belt

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Those tensioning wheels (idler pulleys) blow bearings as well & make the same racket.

No clue as to the required "tension" on that belt.

(pretty sure mine is spring-loaded)

Last edited by a moderator:

genthree

Reaction score
I had similar issue on a 2004 suburban....  It was the tensioner....  Bunch of dust and crap got up behind it and trashed the bearings...  Blew it out and it was much better, but ended up replacing and the noise went away.

Does a 74' have a tensioner on it???  These NEW rigs always surprise me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Ya.., Florida Bronco, you need to fill-in your info pages so we don't have to guess as to your equipment

& mods. That would be great..,  like the serp. belt mod. , :D/    (you see ours left & below)

Thanks..,

B

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke