1989 Bronco 2 4x4 won't engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richresse

Reaction score
First let me say, I am not a fan of the electric 4x4. I have a 1989 Bronco 2 XLT 4x4. I am having issues with my 4x4. It is the electric switch, 4x4 and Low Range. When I am in neutral and push the switchI can here the motor behind my driver's seat but do not have the indication that I am in 4x4. Thoughts?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Rich,

Welcome!

This is an excerpt of, "Four Wheel Drive (4X4) General Information, Operation & Troubleshooting TSB 92-1-8 for 92 & Prior Year Bronco, Bronco II, etc. by Ford

http://web.archive.org/web/20100923194404/http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/documents/electric1356/elec1356.htm

via Dustin

Most common reasons are the motors connector or travel stops; see Electric Shift Motor Troubleshooting & Repair Source: by Richard C (Bigric, Money Pit) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/4584/21843

for a big Bronco, but similar

Electric Shift Emergency Shifting; "... I recall in same thread Ricky B wrote this[/url]; I'd thought I'd share some pics for those who may like to know what the t-case 12 volt shift motor does. Or is supposed to do in my case. Just for drill I removed the small motor. You'll only need a 3/8" ratchet wrench and a long 10 mm socket to remove all 6 bolts. Three of them are about 1 1/2" long and goe thru the top right circular head of the motor. The other three bolts are about 3/4" long. One bolts to the bottom flat tang of the motor case itself (ground?) and the other two hold the wire coupler harness in place on the t-case. As I suspected the triangular shaft inside of the t-case was pointing down to indicate 4 High. By merely jiggling the front drive shaft yoke a little bit with one hand, I could very easily move the triangular shaft with my other hand and get it into 2 High..."

Source: by miesk5 at Bronco Zone Forums

&

1356 Electric Shift Emergency Shifting; "...per one of the other threads someone mentioned that the electric 1356's had a square 3/8" hole in the case so it could be shifted manually if the electrics died..."

Source: by Broncobill78 (Dave)

&

"..I'd thought I'd share some pics for those who may like to know what the t-case 12 volt shift motor does. Or is supposed to do in my case. Just for drill I removed the small motor. You'll only need a 3/8" ratchet wrench and a long 10 mm socket to remove all 6 bolts. Three of them are about 1 1/2" long and goe thru the top right circular head of the motor. The other three bolts are about 3/4" long. One bolts to the bottom flat tang of the motor case itself (ground?) and the other two hold the wire coupler harness in place on the t-case. As I suspected the triangular shaft inside of the t-case was pointing down to indicate 4 High. By merely jiggling the front drive shaft yoke a little bit with one hand, I could very easily move the triangular shaft with my other hand and get it into 2 High..."

EDIT #2;

Can anyone confirm that the triangular shaft is the shaft, shift - part number 7N095 - item number 84 as shown 1356 Electric Shift Parts Break Out Diagram w/nomenclature by Steve

the shift motor on the electric version. The 3/4" round hole that I plugged was where the motor mounted and the shift-selector shaft would be inside...I suppose if you could physically turn the shift shaft manually, without having the motor installed, you could shift from one range to another. I think this would be rather hard due to lack of leverage. Randy Z, Casual Mudder), Rest-in-Peace my friend...."

at

http://broncozone.com/topic/12774-bw1356-manual-shift-conversion/?gopid=96107&do=findComment&comment=96107

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke