1 reply to this topic

#1 richresse

richresse

Bronco Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Favorite Bronco Year?:1970

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

First let me say, I am not a fan of the electric 4x4. I have a 1989 Bronco 2 XLT 4x4. I am having issues with my 4x4. It is the electric switch, 4x4 and Low Range. When I am in neutral and push the switchI can here the motor behind my driver's seat but do not have the indication that I am in 4x4. Thoughts?

#2 miesk5

miesk5

Al

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7056 posts
  • Favorite Bronco Year?:1996

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:51 AM

Yo Rich,
Welcome!

This is an excerpt of, "Four Wheel Drive (4X4) General Information, Operation & Troubleshooting TSB 92-1-8 for 92 & Prior Year Bronco, Bronco II, etc. by Ford

http://web.archive.o...56/elec1356.htm
via Dustin

Most common reasons are the motors connector or travel stops; see Electric Shift Motor Troubleshooting & Repair Source: by Richard C (Bigric, Money Pit) at http://www.supermoto...stry/4584/21843
for a big Bronco, but similar

Electric Shift Emergency Shifting; "... I recall in same thread Ricky B wrote this[/url]; I'd thought I'd share some pics for those who may like to know what the t-case 12 volt shift motor does. Or is supposed to do in my case. Just for drill I removed the small motor. You'll only need a 3/8" ratchet wrench and a long 10 mm socket to remove all 6 bolts. Three of them are about 1 1/2" long and goe thru the top right circular head of the motor. The other three bolts are about 3/4" long. One bolts to the bottom flat tang of the motor case itself (ground?) and the other two hold the wire coupler harness in place on the t-case. As I suspected the triangular shaft inside of the t-case was pointing down to indicate 4 High. By merely jiggling the front drive shaft yoke a little bit with one hand, I could very easily move the triangular shaft with my other hand and get it into 2 High..."
Source: by miesk5 at Bronco Zone Forums
&

1356 Electric Shift Emergency Shifting; "...per one of the other threads someone mentioned that the electric 1356's had a square 3/8" hole in the case so it could be shifted manually if the electrics died..."
Source: by Broncobill78 (Dave)
&
"..I'd thought I'd share some pics for those who may like to know what the t-case 12 volt shift motor does. Or is supposed to do in my case. Just for drill I removed the small motor. You'll only need a 3/8" ratchet wrench and a long 10 mm socket to remove all 6 bolts. Three of them are about 1 1/2" long and goe thru the top right circular head of the motor. The other three bolts are about 3/4" long. One bolts to the bottom flat tang of the motor case itself (ground?) and the other two hold the wire coupler harness in place on the t-case. As I suspected the triangular shaft inside of the t-case was pointing down to indicate 4 High. By merely jiggling the front drive shaft yoke a little bit with one hand, I could very easily move the triangular shaft with my other hand and get it into 2 High..."

EDIT #2;
Can anyone confirm that the triangular shaft is the shaft, shift - part number 7N095 - item number 84 as shown 1356 Electric Shift Parts Break Out Diagram w/nomenclature by Steve

the shift motor on the electric version. The 3/4" round hole that I plugged was where the motor mounted and the shift-selector shaft would be inside...I suppose if you could physically turn the shift shaft manually, without having the motor installed, you could shift from one range to another. I think this would be rather hard due to lack of leverage. Randy Z, Casual Mudder), Rest-in-Peace my friend...."
at

http://broncozone.co...6107#entry96107

Edited by miesk5, 21 October 2016 - 05:31 AM.
Grammar was modified

96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Manual BW 1356, manual hubs. See my partially recovered Bronco site. I need to clean up dead links & add many more. Thanks you Mr, Schwim! http://schwimserver5.com/?index=1128
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users