Blows heat when driving, cool air when not...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arizona24

Reaction score
New owner of a 1995 Bronco. When I'm driving it blows crisp warm air, but when I'm sitting at a stop light for example... The temp begins to cool and I notice the thermostat lowers as well. Is it pumping to much water or? Winter is coming fast and would like to tackle this problem asap

OP
OP
A

Arizona24

Reaction score
Yes the A/C works great! It got down to the 30's last night and that when I noticed the heat issue gen after driving for 30+ minutes

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Arizona,

Is coolant;

50/50% mixture

&

at correct level in coolant recovery tank and in radiator level?

Next, BEWARE of fan, belt, pulleys, hot engine and hoses;

with engine @ Normal Operating Temperature, feel heater hoses. If the heater hoses are too hot to hold, the thermostat is OK. If the heater water hoses do not get too hot to hold, REPLACE the thermostat. If only one heater water hose gets hot while the other remains cool, a plugged heater water hose or heater core is indicated.

Does coolant temperature gauge remain steady in Normal range?

If not, & /or you hear gurgling sounds from glove box area or on passenger side of engine bay, burp the cooling system.

; this is by Ford;

1. Fill the radiator with a 50/50 mixture of the specified engine coolant concentrate and water. Allow several minutes for trapped air to escape (bubble out) and for engine coolant to flow through the radiator.

2. Replace the radiator cap to its fully installed position, then back off to the first stop. This will prevent high pressure from building up in the cooling system during this part of the fill procedure.

3. Start and idle the engine until the thermostat opens and the radiator upper hose becomes warm.

4. Shut off the engine and allow the engine to cool. Cover the radiator cap with a thick cloth and cautiously remove it. Step back while the pressure releases. Miesk5 note, wear glasses, leather or thick work gloves.

5. Finally, check the radiator and add more engine coolant if needed, following the procedures noted above. Reinstall the radiator cap securely, when finished.

6. If more engine coolant is necessary, fill the coolant recovery tank to the appropriate level marked on the tank..."

Seabronc

Reaction score
Like Al said, it sounds like you don't have enough fluid in the system.  Could also be that the heater core is getting clogged.  Have you checked to see if the fan is operating?

:)>-

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke