I'm in over my head...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoohoo111

Reaction score
1969 Bronco

69 Torino 302

Edelbrock intake and 4b Carb

All new wiring

New radiator and hoses

New electronic pertronix electronic ignition and coil

Basically, anything you can see is new.

I decided I wanted to learn how to work on cars, so I've been lurking here and Ford-Trucks getting info I needed to completely restore from frame painting, to body work, to whatever else I run into.

Here is my problem:  I decided to crank my my bronco one day, and I had a bad oil leak from the pan.  I dropped the pan, cleaned it, and replaced the gasket, put new filter, and new oil.  Before I cranked it, I put a new radiator and water pump on it (since I wanted to conver to power steering, and the driver sided weider waterpump was in the way.)

When I finally cranked it the crank shaft pulley ended up with a death wobble. I replaced all of the pulleys, balancer, including the jacked up water pump which got bent from the wobble. I did not run it for more than 30 seconds with the wobble, as it sounded awful.  Well, after replacing oil, it ended up having what sounded like a lifter knock.  Didn't run it for a few months after that.   I decided to work on some other stuff before I hit it hard.  I dropped the 23 gas tank (had to put new sender and wiring/ground wire, flushed all the crud out, osphoed it, and sealed it with POR 15.  I checked the oil after doing that, and it was clear.   I cranked it, and the knock was still there, but there was white smoke coming from right tail pipe and it looked like the right valve cover was leaking onto the headers.

Keep in mind the coolant is full.  However, after a couple of days I decided to fiddle with it, and I noticed the inline fuel filters (they are still new and clean) were emptying out pretty quickly.  I decided to do the cracked head gasket test by pulling all spark plugs.  The coolant did not shoot out after testing each cylinder.  HOWEVER, I decided to check the oil again, and the oil that was fresh a week earlier, was now VERY milky, and smelled like fuel.  I could also smell burnt fuel in the radiator when I cracked the cap.  

I have some ideas after researching, but I'm not a mechanic, and now I'm here not lurking anymore.  The spark plugs were extremely sooty, and I could smell burnt fuel coming out of each cylinder port.

Here is what my ideas are:  Maybe the mechincal pump malfunctioned, which is why the fuel lines empty out immediately after vehicle is turned off.  But could a clogged fuel tank cause the malfunction?  I pulled gas cap off to make sure the tank was getting air so negative pressure wouldn't pull fuel back.  Could I have a cracked cylinder head that may be causing water to turn oil milky, and possibly fuel smelling?

Since I had a gauge now, Oil PSI went from 40ish at idle, down to ~6psi which scared the shit out of me and engine temp went up to 240F.  I have brand new electronic gauges that came with a Dakota digital cluster, so I'm hoping they are accurate.  Ive owned the truck for 2 years, and ave not put more than a quarter mile on it to adjust steering and make sure electronics were working.  What do you think?  Here is video of sound, plus pictures of spark plugs/oil.

TLDR:  Engine knock, fresh oil turned milky and foul smelling, new coolant smells foul, fuel lines emptying quickly (back to tank?)  low oil PSI, and high temp.  No coolant shooting from full radiator when trying to crank.

Video Link:  

12234234.jpg

20161006_151516.jpg

OP
OP
W

whoohoo111

Reaction score
Changed oil today, filter, flushed with washout, and went ahead and installed the new plugs and wires I had ordered a few back.  It's cranking better, but once it warms up, it starts clunking again.   I guess I should mention, water is coming out of exhaust pipe, so I'm certain its gasket, head, or engine thats cracked.  Plausible?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi 111..,  Welcome..!!

Nice clean rig.., good job..!!

Nice write-up but no history on the engine. Did you get a chance to hear/see it run B4 installation.?

Could be a lifter or a bent pushrod or a broken valve spring making that noise.

White smoke is usually coolant in one or more cylinders.

Milky oil is coolant leak as well.

Both of these could be a head gasket.

Fuel in oil & coolant.., again could be gasket related and/or along with a carb float/needle/seat issue.

Rent (free) a compression tester & follow the directions. This will give you the likely problem areas.

Especially the right bank. 

Where are the fuel filter(s) ?  Up on the carb or down low.

Don't think there's anything wrong with the tank.

You can have the head(s) checked when replacing the gaskets.

Temp should hold at 180 +-   Low oil press. is not good. Could also be due to an issue in the head.

Ya.., plugs would be a mess with all the leakage.

Again compression test is the place to start....., keep us posted.  :-B  

OP
OP
W

whoohoo111

Reaction score
When I first purchased it, I would go out and crank it once a week.  The motor sounded good and didn't smoke.  However, each time I found something that was jacked on it, I would end up finding something new connected to it.  Originally motor sounded good, but once I dropped the oil pan and replaced water pump the first time, that's when knocking started.  I let it heat up to about 170, and oil pressure never dropped below 25 psi.  It was 50 psi from crank until warm.

Also, I'm dumb.  I realized I ran 1/3 can of seafoam through it last night to see if a valve was stuck, and that's why it smelled like fuel.  The fuel smell is gone since I changed oil today, however, it didn't change the fact that the coolant in radiator smelled like burnt fuel too and is still blowing white smoke.

I'll check out a compression kit from AutoZone on my next off day and give a notice. 

Thank you for the compliment on rig too.  I almost thought I was done with it.  One gremlin after the next I suppose.

Seabronc

Reaction score
A couple of other things that make a knock sound. 

1. cracked manifold. 

2. A plug or distributor wire not properly seated causing the spark to jump from wire to contact.

3. Lifter noise due to no oil getting to the valve stem.

Get yourself a piece of hose and use it for a stethoscope.  Put one end to your ear and move the other end around till you can spot the source of the sound.   

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
W

whoohoo111

Reaction score
I fixed this problem guys!  I hadn't messed with it in a while.  I started sprying carb fluid around intakes, and lo-and-behold, on the driver side intake, the fluid just SHOT out of tailpipe after being sprayed.  I pulled the manifold and put new gaskets on.  Problem solved.  Intake manifold leak was the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo