Information on powertrain/drivetrain swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crobson1985

Reaction score
So I have been driving my 66 that I picked up a few weeks ago with the top off enjoying it.  Today I noticed the motor mount on the passenger side was just laying there and the bolt had broke off in the motor (170).  I'm looking in to replacing it with a 302 and ZF transmission.  I'm trying to identify what I need to get together to do this, which is proving difficult.  I'm seeing some places saying I need a 2 wheel drive donor others saying I need a 4X4 donor..  I just need to get my list up so I can start gathering.  The other thing I need to line up is what welding would need to be involved (literally the one thing I don't have access to in the automotive world)  so it will require an arrangement.  Any help from some one who has done this would be great.  I would prefer the budget route as this is really just a toy for me.

Also really want to get rid of that 3 speed with the floor shifter, it sucks lol

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Your goal is a path taken by many.

I, on the otherhand, have had 5 other early broncos.., all with V/8's & one with an auto-trans.

(couldn't wait to get rid of that auto-trans. one)

--- You see which one I kept.---

The only welding is the motor-mount towers.., after the old ones are sliced off.

There isn't really a "budget" way to do this swap.

Everything from the radiator back to the transfer case adaptor has to be replaced.

You're prob. look'n at a cost of 2k in parts to do it right. 

The EB catalogs & online show the list of items needed & the price for ea.

One being a 4x4 pan. You'll still have a floor shift for the T-case

Keep us posted, have fun,

B

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
crobson1985

crobson1985

Reaction score
I'm looking at having a donor truck (f150 or 250) for the parts which won't cost me anything significant possibly even free so that is a step in the right direction.  I don't want an auto either.  I'll update on it probably going to start building up my parts for the swap this week.  I just have to get some one lined up to weld it for me.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"...so that is a step in the right direction"

What are the odds of gett'n a sound engine from an older beater..?

RU going to fresh'n the eng. & trans. B/4 install..?

Don't thing anyone on this board has swapped to a V/8.., you may be the 1st.

Do keep us informed... :D/

OP
OP
crobson1985

crobson1985

Reaction score
Well my Dad happens to be a Ford tech (doesn't do a lot of custom work)  Rebuilding a motor and trans is of no real concern  :)) , but the transmission is the main find I'm looking for as i can get a crate motor pretty cheap .  I'm not looking to make a power horse I already have a truck for that!  The main reason I was looking for advice on it is when I do this I need to have all the parts there and ready to go.  I will be doing it in a businesses shop and want to get out of their way fast.  So far I'm planning on ordering the kit to install the zf and the frame weld ins for the motor mounts. I will check the condition of the radiator etc of the donor when I get a chance to break free from work to go pick one.  Depending I might just go with a crate motor..... 

OP
OP
crobson1985

crobson1985

Reaction score
This is the working motor mount and it looks like it is about to go, but my curiosity is what is the hole to the side of the mounts for?  Also thank you for useful information you guys are giving me.

img_20160826_184321_720.jpg

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
 How 'bout selling me that rig.., then you can buy one that's already a factory V/8.... :D/   ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That hole is nothing. Likely used at factory to locate mount tower  with a jig.

The EB radiator is somewhat unique..., where & how it mounts.

The V/8 rad. is completely different from the I-6

So is the air inlet hole in the core support. You may have to cut the hole larger for

proper air flow.

That trannie will likely require re-locating the crossmember or even replacing/building one.

In many cases, this req. changing the length of both driveshafts.

You may be in that shop longer than desirable. :huh:   :blush:

OP
OP
crobson1985

crobson1985

Reaction score
Time in the shop is not the end of the world, just have to park it outside in between. And if you knew how long I looked for one you would know this one isn't for sale now nor ever lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke