1990 conversion to carbeuration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaximusBronk

Reaction score
New to forum.  Looked thru pages of posts, but none on anybody converting from EFI to direct Carbeuration.  I am currently performing the conversion, and purchased a tranny control module for the E40D, as well as fuel pump modifications, new distributor, etc.  Bronco is over 25 years old, and legal to convert in Texas now. 

Does anybody have any advice, or knowledge on any further modifications I will have to perform in order to get this to work?

Eddie Bauer 1990 Full Size

ATK 351 block

Edelbrock heads

Edelbrock carb manifold

Crane Comp Cam

JBA Headers

Magnaflow Exhaust

Holley 600

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo

Have you seen this here?...

EFI Swap to Carburetor

Source: by members at http://broncozone.com/topic/12302-efi-to-carb/

EFI Swap to Carburetor; "...It's actually a pretty simple swap. Basically all of the computer/sensor stuff can be scrapped. You won't need any of it. What you will need...a carb (obviously), a new intake manifold, a new distributor, an ignition control box (like an MSD or Mallory box...I've had good luck with MSD 6A boxes so long as they're not exposed to significant heat), and a carb fuel pump. The EFI pump is way too strong for a carb so you'll need something like a Holley carb electric pump. The ignition stuff is pretty straight forward, but for a working tach you'll need to find the tach wire in the ignition wiring harness and attach it to the positive side of your coil. I know in Mustangs this wire was green with a yellow tracer. It may be the same in your Bronco, but it's good to double check. For a carb I would use something like a Holley 600cfm double pumper or a slightly smaller Carter carb. I had a 625cfm Carter on my Mustang before I switched over to a turbo'ed EFI setup and it was a little too much for the motor. One point worth stating is that if you have an automatic transmission that has overdrive (like an AOD), you'll need an adapter for the TV linkage on the transmission since AODs never came on carbed motors. One is (or at least used to be) available for Holley carbs through Sacramento Mustang, but they retail for just under $100. If you have a 3 speed like a C4 then all you'll need to do is make sure the carb has a kickdown linkage. Mind you I got my old Carter to work with my AOD...but I think that was just sheer luck. Hope this helps...let me know if there's anything else I can clear up for you..." by Steve at http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ford-Repair-811/1988-Bronco-302-efi.htm

insulated the fuel lines, especially where engine heat is high...heat tape or the foil is good.

OP
OP
MaximusBronk

MaximusBronk

Reaction score
Thanks!  Sounds like I am on the right track then.  Will provide pics and info when complete this week.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Good!

Pics and any tips will be appreciated. Not many details or pics of this conversion are available on the www.

OP
OP
MaximusBronk

MaximusBronk

Reaction score
Very Nice Archives, Miesk.  Especially the Parts Sources listings.

Glad to be a new member of this site.

Rod

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Rod,

TY.

Hopefully, I will get my site back on line. Will take awhile, many links need to fixed or deleted.

Post some more pics, always good to see more Broncos.

OP
OP
MaximusBronk

MaximusBronk

Reaction score
Will stop by the shop the trucks in and take pics of the current transformation.  Saw it today, but didnt shoot pics.  Best part is all the cr*p being torn out that isnt needed anymore.  BTW, I may lose some power due to leaving EFI, but think I will make up for it with removal of emissions controls that I am now legally allowed to do in Texas after vehicle hitting the 25 year old mark.  Best 20 years of my life were in this truck.  Swear to God.  Cant put my cowboy hat on in my wifes Ford Escape without the back of it hitting the freaking headrest, and would be embarrassed doing so anyway!  BTW, I replaced the factory comfy seats with Corbeau racing seats with the reclining option.  True racing seats dont recline, but damn is it nice to lay back on a 5 hour drive thru Texas.  Bought the matching 4 point racing harnesses for them after about 2 years running with basic seat belts.  Been thru too many close calls at high speed, and thought its time to "strap-in".

Rod Martinez

The White Mexican

832-423-5640 cell

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar