Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New2bronco

Reaction score
I bought a 1991 bronco with a 4.9L engine. It is an XLT 4x4. I want more power and was thinking of swapping engines, what types of engines can I put in? I'm kind of new to the whole game but want to learn. Any help would be appreciated

Seabronc

Reaction score
The 4.9 is a great engine.  Stock 5.0W, 5.8W with minimal work, just engine mounts.  After that you can put in anything you can stuff in there with modifications.  It all depends on what you want to do with the truck.  A little more information on what you are thinking about would help.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
N

New2bronco

Reaction score
I am just looking for more power, not neccesarily for racing but just for personal satisfaction. So then what type of engines would that be? I was doing some research and saw there was a 351w, is this what you are talking about?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo New2bronco,

Welcome!

For a ba**s to the wall swap, depending on transmission type and/or Emissions laws on carburetor swap:

Engine Conversion Kits for Bronco & Ford Trucks (sales catalog w/pics & descriptions) @ http://www.landlproducts.com/catalog.pdf

Examples:

1980-96 TRUCKS AND BRONCOS 2WD AND 4WD

EQUIPPED WITH 6-CYLINDER ENGINES AND C-6

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CONVERTING TO

429/460 ENGINES.

BASIC KIT INCLUDES:

PART NO. DESCRIPTION

040425 RUBBER MOUNTS WITH STANDS SET 429/460 ENGINE

040500 7-QT. BAFFLED OIL PAN KIT REAR SUMP

10156B ALTERNATOR MOUNT AND DRIVE KIT

10145C POWER STEERING MOUNT AND DRIVE KIT C-II PUMP

79760A 429/460 ULTRA FLOWTM HEADER STD. HEAD CHASSIS EXIT

040183 90 DEGREE REMOTE OIL FILTER SYSTEM

260561 SUPER COOLING RADIATOR (1980-83 VEHICLES)

OR SADDLE MOUNT

260562 SUPER COOLING RADIATOR (1984-96 VEHICLES)

CORNER ****** BOTTOM PIN MO...etc.

300 (4.9L) Rebuild in a 78

Source: by chebbykiller (*********, The Bronco) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/16969/59660-4

Includes for Example:

offy.jpg

Offenhauser Dual-Port aluminum, 4bbl intake manifold.

527279_4827570375702_941699736_n.jpg

She now displaces 304.6 CI.

http://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net/Ford-240-300_c3.htm

Camshafts:

Clifford Performance

Crower

Crane

Comp Cams

Lazer Cams

Accelerated Motion

ultraDyne

Blueracer

Schneider Cams

Iskanderian

Header:

Clifford Performance

MAC

Dynomax

Pace Setter

Hedman

Intake:

Clifford Performance

Offenhauser

Edelbrock

Hogan

"The EFI stock headers are about as good as any short-tube header. Not recommended in replacing them unless your after some serious power. 302 is the throttle body of choice. AOD weighs just about as much as the C6, so stick with it because of the OVERDRIVE. Unless your doing some major hauling or a torque monster 300, you don't need the C6. ENSURE TV Linkage is Adjusted with a pressure gauge tapped into the side port of the transmission...." by Guest

https://web.archive.org/web/20070327105659/http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Instructions/instructions/431000_inst.htm

Chapter 9, from Ford Fuel Injection and Electronic Engine Control: How to Understand, Service and Modify, 1988-1993 http://www.yunost.ru/docs/Ford-injectors-book/Part09/Part09.pdf

OP
OP
N

New2bronco

Reaction score
On those links I see a swap from 302 inline 6 to a 460, but not 351w. Am I reading it wrong, or am I missing something? Its a great link. I've been doing a lot of reading and learning a sh** ton, I appreciate all and any info. If I could get the kits that I need for this conversion would help greatly.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

The conversion parts link is for the swap to a 460. It is for my balls to the wall swap, depending on transmission type and/or Emissions laws on carburetor swap.

I believe Fred mentioned the 5.0 or 5.8 with minimal work, just engine mounts.

OP
OP
N

New2bronco

Reaction score
I really appreciate the help gentlemen. I know the 460 is more power, would that be better way to go? I'm not looking to race but I want to be able to tow and hall ads. Should I go this route, or is the 351w a better option?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

I posted the 460 build-up, swap, etc. Pics because I do not have such a for 5.0 or 5.8 from the 4.9

Seabronc

Reaction score
Bolt up to transmission is the same, need engine mounts for 5.0 and 5.8, if not carbed probably need to swap computer.  I don't think the 5.0 or 5.8 will be worth the swap.  460 swap requires a lot of beefing up of the truck.

:)>-

MaximusBronk

Reaction score
Well, here's my take, and it comes from experience of driving this engine for over 5 years now.  Money wasn't really an option, so I replaced the block with an ATK 351 block, and installed a Crane Comp cam (part # 31-242-3, Grind # FS XE268H-10).  Replaced the intake manifold with an Edelbrock for the fuel injection, and installed a pair of JBA headers piped out side-by-side into a pair of Magnaflow exhaust lines exiting on the passenger side so that I didn't have to listen to them.  The E40D tranny bolts right up well.  Went with an MSD distributor.  I mounted a 4-core diesel radiator in front, and if anything, the engine runs cold in the height of the summer season here in Texas.  You will have to block part of it in the winter.  I have NEVER ran anything but synthetic AMSOIL in this engine, and I am well over 140K miles with no reduction in power so far.  Expensive oil, but IMO the very best.  This engine is a Powerhouse.  The best fun is on the entrance ramps to the highway.  It is a Rocket.  But there is a caveat.... The Electronic Fuel Injection can be one giant PITA through the years.  I am currently ripping out all the EFI and related emissions controls (since vehicle is now a Texas Classic Vehicle, and not subject to emissions).  I have an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold installed with a Holley 600 cfm carb on top.  I will post to the site the results of this conversion when it is complete next week.  Anyway, you cant go wrong with the above mentioned setup if you must remain within emission controls testing...BTW, it BARELY passed each time, but passed nonetheless.  If you want more info on the actual part numbers of the setup, feel free to email me at my address on this site.  Best of luck.  Nothing beats a Bronco that can scare the crud out of a vette on an entrance ramp!

Rod

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom