Winter Re-build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kauffmanbros

Reaction score
Hey guys have a 1986 XLT with carb351 C6 auto. My brother also has an 86 and just rebuilt the 6cyl 300 in his. I'm thinking about pulling mine over the winter starting maybe October but I'm not sure yet. I've heard people say that for a tiny bit more $500ish you could probably just buy a mild  performance crate motor. I'd want a little more than I'm getting now at stock equipment, but not a drag racer. A nice idle with maybe a bigger cam, rods, valves etc. Any thoughts on how you would spend your money? Just want a few more horses than my friends and the idea of a winter project doesn't sound bad. Just looking for personal opinions or advice.

MaximusBronk

Reaction score
Kauffman Bros,

I posted the message below just a few mins ago to another member, and pasting it into this posting for you:

Well, here's my take, and it comes from experience of driving this engine for over 5 years now.  Money wasn't really an option, so I replaced the block with an ATK 351 block, and installed a Crane Comp cam (part # 31-242-3, Grind # FS XE268H-10).  Replaced the intake manifold with an Edelbrock for the fuel injection, and installed a pair of JBA headers piped out side-by-side into a pair of Magnaflow exhaust lines exiting on the passenger side so that I didn't have to listen to them.  The E40D tranny bolts right up well.  Went with an MSD distributor.  I mounted a 4-core diesel radiator in front, and if anything, the engine runs cold in the height of the summer season here in Texas.  You will have to block part of it in the winter.  I have NEVER ran anything but synthetic AMSOIL in this engine, and I am well over 140K miles with no reduction in power so far.  Expensive oil, but IMO the very best.  This engine is a Powerhouse.  The best fun is on the entrance ramps to the highway.  It is a Rocket.  But there is a caveat.... The Electronic Fuel Injection can be one giant PITA through the years.  I am currently ripping out all the EFI and related emissions controls (since vehicle is now a Texas Classic Vehicle, and not subject to emissions).  I have an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold installed with a Holley 600 cfm carb on top.  I will post to the site the results of this conversion when it is complete next week.  Anyway, you cant go wrong with the above mentioned setup if you must remain within emission controls testing...BTW, it BARELY passed each time, but passed nonetheless.  If you want more info on the actual part numbers of the setup, feel free to email me at my address on this site.  Best of luck.  Nothing beats a Bronco that can scare the crud out of a vette on an entrance ramp!

Rod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22