Need Help With 87 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vincentzzzz

Reaction score
I need help. I'm new to cars and just got a 1987 Bronco that needs lots of work. First there are wires that aren't connected to any thing coming from the throttle body. Then there are what seems to be hose connectors connected to nothing. Finally (for now) the distributor is really loose. I have pics of what I'm talking about hope someone can help.

Wires.jpg

Hoses.jpg

Distributor.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone !!

I assume that this is a 351W engine, please put the truck specifics in your signature as that will help in getting more accurate responses to questions.

The unconnected wire on the carburetor is for the choke,  if this is the original carburetor, it is connected to a special 7 volt output on the alternator.   If this is a newer carb it is connected to a switched 12 volt source.  Also that zip tie doesn't belong there, probably added to hold the choke open.

The device with no vacuum lines on it is a vacuum control valve. This one in particular is for controlling the heat riser function for improved start and run conditions, especially in cold weather.

Not sure what you mean  by your distributor being loose, or what you are trying to show in the picture.  Do you mean that the rotor is loose or the entire distributor.  

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Some after thought:

Is that the original engine in the 87 Bronco?

The reason I ask is, that is a 2BBL carb and the 87's came with a 4BBL carb on a 351W engine or EFI on a 302 engine.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

As Fred advised.

Some info:

Hopefully this site will help you with your,Carburetor Identification and Location of Engineering Numbers;

http://web.archive.org/web/20070208141837/http://www.ponycarburetors.com/default.asp?page=identification

As a guess,

4180 Electric Choke; "...The 4-bbl carb in the 84-86 351W H.O. Bronco is a Holley#4180. First thing I would check is that the electric choke is getting power. You can look at the wiring diagrams for it, but i can tell you that the power comes from the back of the alternator, and that clip has a tendency to fall out. From the alt, the wire runs around the back of the engine bay to a relay on the other side, then back to the carb. The relay may be bad, too. IT's not one of Ford's better engineering ideas, as it gave me many headaches on my 84 Bronco. If you're getting 7v power to the carb choke, then you can try the adjustment that BB78 suggested (great info). I also had problems with the carb leaking gas everywhere, and tried to rebuld it to no avail. If your carb is the original and leaking, I would replace it with an aftermarket carb. There's a few recent posts on this problem, too..."

Source: by our late good friend, justshootme84 (Randy Z, Casual Mudder) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke