Tailgate very heavy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonLawson84

Reaction score
Never really paid much mind to it until my wife took the truck and made a comment.  The tailgate is very heavy, defiantly need both hands to shut.  Is there supposed to be a spring assist or anything like that?  

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Don,

Yes, it is called a torsion bar and a bracket probably broke due to rust; many times it will Crack the glass.

Or the bar was removed by a previous owner or shop.

See http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/tailgate.html

See page 3 and Dustin's warning; "The next step is to remove the bracket holding the torsion bar to the body. Take extreme care here as the bar packs a lot of force. I recommend trying to remove the bracket while the tailgate is as closed as possible to relieve pressure on the bar. I was foolish enough to do it with the tailgate down. Both bolts broke off allowing the bar to snap back and sent the bracket off to never-never land. I was never able to find the bracket so I had to get another one."

The other attachment point inside the tailgate often rusts..

See how to repair that...http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/12689-2

BTW,

Your signature shows, "A4OD".

Is it E4OD?

Seabronc

Reaction score
It's a pig even when it is working properly, it's definitely not a one hand operation,   here is a parts break down http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=23  see item # 15 in the lower left picture.

CAUTION!!  

Torsion bars are very dangerous to work with.  If you are going to mess with it, there is only one safe way to remove and install them.  If you release the bracket that attaches it to the tailgate support improperly you will most likely have a broken hand or missing fingers.  It can only be done safely one way.

:)>-  

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

DonLawson84

Reaction score
I have not looked inside the tailgate but did notice the torsion bar on the passenger side has no tension (gate down, up or mid travel) against the holder its in.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

The inner Bracket rusted out.

"Before unbolting the tailgate from its hinges, first relieve the torque rod by bracing it against the tailgate & removing its guide loop from the body. Forgetting to brace it before removing the bolts can cause injury, especially if done with the tailgate fully down (torsion bar fully loaded). I use this large combination wrench with a piece of thin cardboard under the corner to protect the paint.

tgtorquerodbrkt.jpg

The infamous torsion bar bracket. It cups up, so if it's allowed to collect dirt & rain, it rusts out. Then, when the t/g is lowered, the torque on the rod breaks the bracket, and the bottom corner of the bar (with the foam tube) swings down & shatters the window."

Read More

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/12689-2

Torsion Bar Removal Tip; "...you don't need to remove the gate or the glass or cut anything to pull the torsion bar off..."

Source: by brunus

Seabronc

Reaction score
If no tension, then it probably has rusted out either the bracket or the bar broke inside the tailgate.  Still Use caution when removing the guide bracket.  Treat it like a loaded gun.

Another safe way without risk of the torsion bar hurting you is to just barely open the tail gate and then remove the guide loop on the right tailgate support.  That allows you to do it with out tension on the bar.  To re install I do it the same.  No danger or necessity to use something to brace it.  

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo