67 bronco stalls when coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m.john.scott

Reaction score
I have a 67 that has a 302 motor in it with a 2 barrel carb. The engine will start up and idle fine, but when I give it throttle and allow it to return to idle it dies, it will then start right back up and idle fine. I have replaced the plugs and ignition coil, cleaned and tuned the carb, and checked the alternator and battery. The only way I can get it to somewhat run ok is to keep it choked out and then I eventually run into the same problem.. any thoughts on what I should check or replace next would be greatly appreciated

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi John.., welcome..!!

One thought would be the fuel pump but, a weak pump  would likely stall you out at speed.

Some more info. may help us help you. 

As in, is this the orig. engine or an up-grade to a newer one with the elect. ignition.?

Does it have an aftermarket ignition.?

Have you put a timing light on it to see where it's runn'n. (have you tested for a weak/slopy timing chain.?)

Have you traced all the vacuum lines to insure there's no leaks. Including the one to the transmission.?

(If it's an auto)

Is it the stock Ford Motocraft carb. or another brand..?

Was it acting up B/4 you did the work & replaced parts.?

--This is an easy fix once narrowed down.--

Seabronc

Reaction score
I would guess that the carb needs rebuild or better yet replacement.  Having to choke it to keep it running is an indication of not enough fuel being supplied.  Probably has clogged ports that are used in the start and run condition of the carb. 

:)>-

OP
OP
M

m.john.scott

Reaction score
this is not the original motor but it certainly is not much of an upgrade.. no electronic ignition, I have cleaned and rebuilt the carb, the timing is good, i have not checked the vacuum lines. I purchased this bronco last year, it was a barn find and had been sitting for awhile so it ran terrible initially. after rebuilding the carb it seemed to run well for a bit but after sitting this winter i have this new issue. I believe the carb to be an aftermarket generic brand and was thinking my next move would be to replace it.

appreciate any help!

Seabronc

Reaction score
Rebuild kits do not address wear problems with a carb.  Also, setting over winter may have allowed clogging of the idle and transition ports.  Make sure that all the setup adjustments are made, ie. idle mixture, choke adjustment, cold idle and hot idle. 

:)>-

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Also.., with this somewhat more complete info.,

Dried out tanks "flake"  as well as the fuel lines. All this debris can plug the pick-up screen in the tank and/or

travel to the fuel pump & carb. depending on existence/condition of filter(s)

Cleaning the fuel system is my, 2nd only to brakes, suggestion on any "barn-find" or the like.

Rebuilding a carb. & installing on a dirty fuel supply system is going to give results such as yours. 

A "cracked" fuel line may not leak but it will "**** air".

Eng. numbers are on the intake manifold. Carbs have names or numbers on them.

PICS would also help.

Again, you can't give us too much info. to work with. Otherwise, it's a big guessing game.

And/or throwing parts at it 'til the 1,2,3 problems are solved, can be expensive.

"Enjoy the ride" ..!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo