Wont start after driven

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harleelee

Reaction score
I woke up this morning my 1987 Ford Bronco started just fine go 20 miles shut it off I went to start it and it wouldn't start sounded like it wanted to turn over but then dies adjacent Illinois yesterday I also changed the negative terminal not the ground wire to the terminal batteries fully charged I don't know what's wrong tell me please I'm going nuts

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
You Harleelee,

Welcome!

It still cranks as normal, but engine will not start?

If so,

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/how-to-troubleshoot-a-no-start-1

You can probably get a spark tester at local parts store under a loan a tool program with refundable deposit. Unless you do it old school way...

Remove a plug wire and insert an old spark plug or a spark plug tester into the end of the wire (the plug boot). Place the spark plug on a metal surface on the engine, or ground the spark plug tester to the engine. Then crank the engine to check for a spark. No spark indicates an ignition problem." by a1car

Same for fuel pressure tester and an LED Light or make your own with.

Radio shack led light, and a Multimeter.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Harleelee, welcome..!   

Ya.., your post is a bit unclear... :huh:

If the starter spins the engine --- that's "crank" (or engine turns over)

If the engine lights up & runs----  thats "start"

How many batteries do you have..?

If I understand..., sounds like you're not getting 12v to the starter -or- the starter is bad -or- faulty ground connection.

(just a few possibilities)

Follow M5's suggestions..., he will get you on the right track for your trouble shooting. :-B   

Last edited by a moderator:

nelbur

Reaction score
If it starts up fine after a cool down, it could be a faulty ECT engin coolant temp. sensor located on the heater hose connection on top of the engine.   If the computer thinks the engine is overheated it cuts off the spark.   ( assuming you have an EFI engine)

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
Check spark as suggested.  If you haven't done so already, I would suggest checking/replacing ignition coil, regardless if it is the culprit or not. They are cheap.  I had issues with engine cranking and running fine for a few miles.  Then it would suddenly die.  Once the engine died, it would crank, but wouldn't fire up until it sat for few minutes, once the engine cooled down.  Replaced coil with an autozone coil, and the problem stopped.  

DonLawson84

Reaction score
Had a similar issue in another car, changed voltage regulator and fixed

OP
OP
H

Harleelee

Reaction score
Thank you ..... i replaced the ground cable and another sylynoid as the other cracked .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar