Headlight Switch Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movinon123

Reaction score
My headlight switch went bad in my 1986 bronco XTL a few nights ago.. I had the headlights on and turned the **** all the way counter clockwise to engage the interior lights and a saw a small flash behind the dash near the headlight **** and heard a zap. After that I lost everything that had to do with lighting in my bronco... headlights, parking lights, directionals, brake lights, reverse lights, plate lights, dash lights all gone. So i did some research on line and found that i needed to replace my headlight switch. 

Im having trouble finding the replacement headlight switch. I went to Auto Zone and when they looked up my truck in their computer system and they sold me a switch that had a terminal post coming out of the P spot on the switch. 

$_12.jpg

my factory headlight switch does not have a terminal coming out of the P spot on the switch. 

s-l1600.jpg

I did not realize the difference until i got home. I checked the plug and realized that the switch auto zone sold me would actually fit the plug. The plug has a opening for that P terminal but nothing inside it (its basically an empty bay). 

So I plugged in the switch I got from auto zone and everything worked except my brake lights (which were working before the switch went bad) along with the brake lights not working a 15 amp fuse kept blowing. Im assuming the 2 switches are wired different internally.

side note: my turn signal switch was just replaced and working perfectly and there are no signs of any wires grounding out. 

The headlight switch I removed from my truck is a MOTOCRAFT EITB-11654-AA and I can not find a replacement that does not have a post coming out of the P terminal anywhere. I checked bronco graveyard and the image they show for the 86 bronco shows the same thing i got from auto zone. 

can someone please give me some advice, I'm new to the forum and tried searching previous posts for an answer and I'm coming up with nothing. 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo movinon,

Welcome!

That was a close call!

Because...Switch Fires, Part Number SW-2103: "...Over the past two years, this office has experienced fires caused by another potential problem in Ford vehicles. The problem exists within the dimmer portion of the headlight switch in Ford vehicles. The light switch involved is a Model SW-2103. These are the pull out type headlight switches usually located in the lower left corner of the front dash of Ford vehicles. The headlight portion of the switch has two pullout positions, the first for parking lights only, and fully out for headlights and parking lights. The shaft of this pull-out light switch can be turned clockwise and counterclockwise which activates a dimmer switch, lowering and raising the intensity of the lighting in the instrument panels respectively. Fully rotating the shaft counterclockwise past a notch activates the interior lights within the vehicles. The potential problem exists within the dimmer portion of this switch. The dimmer mechanism consists of a metallic resistive coil set inside a ceramic disc positioned over the shaft of the switch. The coil is exposed on its front side away from the passenger compartment. The front side of the coil passes across a contact permitting a current to flow through a certain portion of the coil when the switch is pulled our in its first or second positions. The greater amount of coil through which the current is permitted to pass (clockwise most position) creates the greatest resistance and therefore dims the dash lighting to its lowest intensity. The opposite position provides greatest intensity. Through our investigations, we have found that the coil can fail owing to wear and/or possible material defects or damage. A fractured coil can maneuver itself free of the ceramic disc permitting it to come in contact with the metal bracket which mounts and grounds the switch to the vehicle. When this occurs, a current can flow through a portion of the coil creating high temperatures melting the metal material of the coil and possibly igniting surrounding combustibles. This mechanism has been observed in three separate incidents by this office. Two of these resulted in a fire. The mechanism is precipitated by wear and/or defect in the coil mechanism. If the former is true, we expect there will be an increase in fires caused through this mechanism given an increase in service time. To this date the problem appears to be somewhat limited. However, this particular light switch has been utilized in numerous Ford vehicles. Therefore, a small increase in failure rate owing to age and wear could result in a significant increase in fire losses. The SW-2103 Light Switch Assembly discussed above is reportedly installed in the following Ford vehicles: 1986 -1997 F100, F150, F300; 1990-1994 Explorer; 1987-1994 Ranger; 1987-1990 Bronco II; 1992-1997 Aerostar..." Miesk5 NOTE: No Bronco Listed, but this may be the result of typos or incomplete research by the company.

OP
OP
M

movinon123

Reaction score
Minsk Thanks 

I've seen that posted on this form while I was reaserching the problem. I was afraid that my plug would be melted and I would have to replace the plug and switch. Thank god its not because theres not a whole lot of extra wire coming from the plug. It would have been a nightmare to get up under the dash and solder and heat shrink together a new plug.

When i went to return the headlight switch to AZ the manager talked me into exchanging it for a new one. The one she gave me had the same pin configuration but was made by a different company. When I plugged in that switch everything worked except the directionals.... I ordered the plug Seabronc showed me from LMCtruck and am hoping its the right one. Im nervous because theres no pic on LMCtruck website showing what the switch looks like. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
I think I missed the turn signal bit.  Here are some electrical diagrams to help you trouble shoot the problem.

:)>-

PG38.jpg

PG48.jpg

PG49a.jpg

PG95.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member