Battery drain found, how to fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bwhitewr45

Reaction score
I have an '89 bronco and when I bought it, there was a battery drain. I disconnected the negative terminal, used a multimeter and with the truck off, something was drawing about 2.5 amps. I started pulling fuses and found that it was fuse slot 4 (exterior lamps, instrument illumination, glove box lamp, and roof map lamps). When the truck is off I can't visibly see any of these lights on so I have no clue how to fix this problem. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

GrandpaKenof15

Reaction score
I had the same problem with a 96 jeep GC. Mine was in the door locks and it took a weekend but found the problem in the last switch in the rear door.

Since you know what circuit the drain is coming from, Now you by trial and error disconnect and reconnect each component in the circuit till you find which one is grounding out or shorting out. and it will probably been where it is exposed to moisture. just my two cents.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Good job at isolating down to the offending circuit. Glove box lamp would be top on my list and also easy to start with.  That is a common problem with them.

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar