94 lightning GT40 5.8L Horsepower boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKrow

Reaction score
Alright guys so this 1990 bronco has a 94 lighting GT40 5.8 L engine... Right and I was wondering how would I then **** every little bit of horsepower and torque out of that engine???

THANKS !

OP
OP
J

JKrow

Reaction score
What are you looking to do with all that power. Just asking.
I plan on mudding primary, probably gonna end up doing done towing somewhere down the line, and pulling other people out. I'm not looking to make it a race car but I have to admit that'd be quite the sight!

GrandpaKenof15

Reaction score
I hear ya. that engine is rated at 240hp @ 4200rpm. Not knowing what was done when it was swapped. Do you know what mods were made, It helps with that info to point you in the right direction.

I number 1 mod on any thing I start with is to help it breathe. Reduce intake restrictions and open the exhaust as well. I have only been on here a few days, and these guys have some great tips and tricks. I just got mine and it has been sitting since may, and I am going to do the same to it that I did to my Mazda B3000. At it has 450k on it. and I can redline it in 100 ft. It turns up that fast and it is a 3.0L v6. Of course the tires don't like it.

OP
OP
J

JKrow

Reaction score
I hear ya. that engine is rated at 240hp @ 4200rpm. Not knowing what was done when it was swapped. Do you know what mods were made, It helps with that info to point you in the right direction.

I number 1 mod on any thing I start with is to help it breathe. Reduce intake restrictions and open the exhaust as well. I have only been on here a few days, and these guys have some great tips and tricks. I just got mine and it has been sitting since may, and I am going to do the same to it that I did to my Mazda B3000. At it has 450k on it. and I can redline it in 100 ft. It turns up that fast and it is a 3.0L v6. Of course the tires don't like it.
Yeah I have cold air intake and its straight piped but I'm gonna have to muffle it (stupid noise ordinance).. whats next?

Seabronc

Reaction score
This is just a curiosity question since I don't do either mudding or towing so in my mind the two seem to be at odds when it comes to torque.  In either case it would seem to me the most effective thing to do would be to select a a set of differential and trany gear ratios that fits the occasion.  I would contact a gear manufacturer and post your requirements to them.  I can't think of any better source for getting information when it comes to torque.  You can't just do it with engine modifications alone.

Obviously if you want high torque you will also need to beef up the drive train so you don't hear snapping and popping when you dig in on a high torque condition, like drive shaft, universals, axles, super strong differential gears, etc.

So now you can educate me on mudding.

Is there an objective other than slinging mud all over, ie. like the fastest to get from one end of the course to the other without getting stuck?

You can see by my question, that I'm not into the sport :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If the answer to my question is speed through the course with out getting stuck, then high torque seems like what will get me bogged down in the mud. 

However, on the other hand if the objective is to pull people that are stuck in the mud out, and I am not, then super high torque low tranny gearing seems to be the thing I would want. 

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

JKrow

Reaction score
This is just a curiosity question since I don't do either mudding or towing so in my mind the two seem to be at odds when it comes to torque.  In either case it would seem to me the most effective thing to do would be to select a a set of differential and trany gear ratios that fits the occasion.  I would contact a gear manufacturer and post your requirements to them.  I can't think of any better source for getting information when it comes to torque.  You can't just do it with engine modifications alone.

Obviously if you want high torque you will also need to beef up the drive train so you don't hear snapping and popping when you dig in on a high torque condition, like drive shaft, universals, axles, super strong differential gears, etc.

So now you can educate me on mudding.

Is there an objective other than slinging mud all over, ie. like the fastest to get from one end of the course to the other without getting stuck?

You can see by my question, that I'm not into the sport :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If the answer to my question is speed through the course with out getting stuck, then high torque seems like what will get me bogged down in the mud. 

However, on the other hand if the objective is to pull people that are stuck in the mud out, and I am not, then super high torque low tranny gearing seems to be the thing I would want. 

hahaha mudding is all about playing with your machine and just having fun in whatever way you can come up with and I mostly want more power because I have 38's and I wanna make up for that lost power

Seabronc

Reaction score
You can make up for the lost power by changing you differential gears.  Engine modifications for power and gearing for torque, they work together.  That also requires some beefing up in the running gear.  Standard running gear like drive shafts, U-joints, axles, and gears are not meant for the torque you will probably be able to develop.  Like I said above, you would be best advised by calling one of the gear manufacturers and give them an idea how you are going to use your truck.  You don't need to buy from them.

Good luck,

Seabronc

Reaction score
Here are a couple of charts that may help you decide on differential gear selection.  http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/280159_1

Sounds like GrandpaKenof15 has some ideas for the engine. 

Keep us informed on what you are doing with pictures, we love following along and seeing what someone does with their truck.

The chart at the bottom is for cruise and normal 3rd gear of 1:1 for a cruise speed of 55 MPH.  To easily convert it for a cruise of 65 MPH the numbers 4 columns to the left of your tire size will give pretty close RPM numbers for a stock Ford truck engine.

GrandpaKenof15

Reaction score
Sounds like you are getting some good info. How about we look at something you might not have thought of cause many don't. Knowing you have the lightning engine, but you are running the bronco fuel pump. First lets check your fuel pressure. The lightning motor needs more pressure, especially if you are running the fuel injectors that came with that motor. If your pressure is 43 to 48 psi check the size of your injectors. If they are larger than 18.5lbs and they probably are find out what the fuel pressure the lightning has and match or give it a hair more. Then add an msd high voltage coil and an ignition control box with iridium plugs. Make sure you have your neck brace after you get finished and test drive it.

Another thing you might want to do just for giggles, is have it put on the dyno do the mods and retest and see how much it improved.

OP
OP
J

JKrow

Reaction score
Should any of this change based on the fact that the transmission is manual

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members