noisy timing gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riggermortis

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the process of rebuilding a '95 5.8L.I had a reputable machine shop assemble the long block and told them I wanted a noisy set of timing gears, now that the engine is done, gear set installed, I'm reading some stuff that says timing gears are not intended for running a roller camshaft. I would think the machine shop would have ordered a set that was good for it, but my question is why can't you run gear drives with a roller cam? I haven't called the machine shop yet just wanted some outside input.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Update....I confered with those that are experts and found that the roller cam should not "walk" more than a few thousanths so as not to allow the roller lifters to run out of the "groove" on the cam lobe.

It sounds like way more caution than needed, but that's the info.  Advice is that if you use a gear drive use a cam button to be sure there is practically no "walk"

Good Luck.

OP
OP
riggermortis

riggermortis

Reaction score
Ok so I actually spoke with comp cams about the gear drive and they told me that the only reason not to use one would be because of a knock sensor. I'm not running one so they said there shouldn't be any problem

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo