replacing motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
OK guys i need help with steps to replacing my bronco motor. Here's some background info. i had some guy rebuild it i think, apparently he just took my money. the motor ran like crap and before it stopped running completely it was making a crazy rattle sound at idle (not the exhaust) it also made a loud whipping sound when i would drive, but only when it was in drive and moving. plus the motor had a noticeably less power than before. i found out that he used cheap paper gaskets to save him money. so really i need a link or someone that could explain to me the basic steps to replace the motor with a new one that i bought from a good friend. and if there are any things i need to do to the new motor before i put it in. o yea its a 351w.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
A little more information  would help.  Is it a 351W to 351W swap? 

I'm assuming your truck is a 1990.  If so, it has an EFI engine, is the replacement engine an EFI engine?

Is the replacement engine from the same year Bronco?

Is the replacement engine a rebuild or just one out of a truck your friend has?

:)>-

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Seabronc mentioned some important things that need to be known..!

Also.., noises transmit. RU sure the sounds are actually from the engine..?

Is the drivetrain functioning properly..? (Dr. shaft(s), axles, hubs, bearings, brakes, etc.)

Less power can sometimes be a transmission issue. (or even draging brakes)

An actual engine "rattle" sound would likely be a sticking lifter.

Many gaskets are made of various fibers.., never heard of paper gaskets..??

Sounds like someone was "talking out of turn" on that one.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Right, have you looked under the truck to see if something like a piece of brush is stuck in a U-joint making the whipping noise?

:)>-

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
the motor is a 351w to another 351w. they are both efi. the rattle sound is coming from the bottom of the motor. and the whipping sound only happens when the truck is moving and in drive. but i was moving put it in neutral and still made that sound. the motor had power before. i gave it to him cause i was gone for the army because the oil pan gasket broke. so he said he would rebuild it. haven't changed any since and no power when i drove it. he also informed me that someone had put sleeves in the cylinder walls. 

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
o yea the new motor is from another truck that got wreck in the back. so the motor is ok. heard it run. and i also have a set of gt40 heads for it.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom