DANA 44 REBUILD FRONT (IFS)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco Bubby

Reaction score
1984 full size bronco. Iv opened up a tasty can of worms with a shelled and chipped pinion gear. 3.54 ratio 46-13 teeth btw. Carrier bearings all chewed as to a k-9 frisby. Housing condition is salivigable other than a puddle of iron splinters caked in a puddle of sludge **** on the bottom side.

Honestly iv never physically torn one apart like this, but shop manuals help me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Any advice preload etc. would be appreciated

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Bubby.., welcome..!

WOW..!  That's taking on a lot there..!

Removal & install isn't all that bad. Line'n up the new gear teeth using that white goo & setting the pinion

is the technical part.

Having said that.., I've not done one.  I've taken appart a Ford 9" diff. & re-assembled it but it's not

set-up for use.

I took my Land Cruiser to a driveline shop to have the rear end re-built.

The problem is, if you don't get it right..., it will howl & you'll likely have to take it back out & start over.

Don't know of anyone on this board that's done a 44 IFS but we'll see.

OP
OP
Bronco  Bubby

Bronco Bubby

Reaction score
To gjrden: my camera is broken on phone :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I don't think this type of damage normally happens. I've seen a lot of Dana 44 in junk yard and all of them seem to appear better and bearings still intact.

To bully bob: yea that's what I've gathered from shop manual and YouTube.com/asktheExpert

The hardest part is getting pinion adjusted right. That's another reason I posted this, I didn't see anything on this board with Dana 44 discussion. That's ok, we start one today :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

But most defiantly bully bob you are right, I want to do this right the first time.

Currently completely disassembled, housing and few odd parts sitting in a bucket of dawn dish soap. DAWN is the best, preferred over orange clean and gojo. Stripping it down of all the caked **** and varnish. Then I'll have a clean bone to pick at. Ps,, pressure washer at car wash also helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Happy Friday yall!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar