Engine Sputters then Dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pj31704

Reaction score
Having an issue getting the truck running. It fires up fine and will run for about 5-10 seconds, then sputters and dies. I noticed smoke coming out of the air cleaner on top of carb. I removed and tried again, there is a puff of smoke that shoots out of the carb as it dies. Sort of makes a "****" noise as it dies. Not sure if an issue with carb? Maybe timing?

I replaced timing gears and chains about a year ago, haven't had any issues. I recently replaced the fuel pump, also played around with the carb tuning after that trying to get a good idle. That was a few weeks ago and this is first start since. Not sure if this could be a cause for concern. Any help would be appreciated.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I wouldn't suspect the carb or any of the fuel supply components.  In spite of the fact that you recently replaced te timing chain and gears does not ruel out the timing or the alignment of the distributor.  They would be one of the first thing I would check for proper alignment.  Then do the carb adjustments according to the information provided on the vacuum diagram.  Also make sure the vacuum connection to the distributor is according the the vacuum diagram.  Other suspect would be any vacuum components in the distributor vacuum system.

Best I can pull off the top of my head at the moment.

Good luck,

:)>-

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Your signature should contain all the major repairs replacements mods. (you can't supply too much info.)

We can't remember every detail  on all the folks who check-in here.

Agree with Seabronc...., timing is the likely suspect. (as in Ignition tuning)

My rig did this very thing you describe.  I was 5 miles out in the desert.  I was able to haul ass home

to keep it runn'n but it still quit several times. I did make it back home & in the garage.  It died.

It would sputter & fire up thru the carb.  Put on an old used coil & it ran normal.

Bought a new quality coil & all's well.

Do you still have points or aft. mkt dizzy..?

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke