88 bronco 5.0 compression specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JesseFixesCATs

Reaction score
does anybody know or know where I can find the cylinder compression specs (psi) on a 88 5.0 302? I'm getting a junk yard engine for my 88 fullsize and I'm not just going to pull the first one I see. I'm going to check it and make sure that the reason it's at a junk yard is not the engine. I'm going to do compression checks on all the cylinders and check think like if there is even oil in and and that it turns over completely.

Thanks guys

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Interesting approach..!

Seems it's 120-130 PSI but check me on that.

However, equally important is that they're all pretty even.  (within approx. 10 pounds)

RU going to start & run these test engines..?  As in warm them up..?

If not.., the readings will likely be low.

If you have a strong elect. drill motor, you can pump up the the oil pressure by hand.

Remove dizzy & insert a tool into the oil pump. spin away 'til you get a drag on the drill motor.

Rotate the crank & do it again.

You can take a cold compression test & check for all cylinders being equal.

You may need a couple strong batteries

OP
OP
J

JesseFixesCATs

Reaction score
Thanks man. I'm not going to run the engine before I swap it. I am however going to do a lot of inspections and all the test I can easily do before I pull one at the junk yard (pick and pull). I have about 13 models that will swap directly (bronco and f150) so hopefully I'll find one that looks like it's been taken care of and does fine on the test. But I am worried. You never know why it was taken to the junk yard in the first place.

Seabronc

Reaction score
A good yard know which vehicles have good engines .Pick and pulls are a crap shoot.  Pick and pull yards usually only put their junk in the pull area and keep the good engines seperate.  The reason being, they don't want a bunch of cockroachs comming in and ruining an engine for some $10.00 part and losing several hundred dollars for a good saleable engine.  Most yards around here have stopped letting people pull anything that has fluids because of EPA and insurance rules , they bring them their shop and do the pull themselves.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke