1990 XLT starts but dies unless I find the 'sweet' spot with t

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pgiles

Reaction score
Howdy, new here so pardon me if there is already an answer out there. I looked but couldn't find someone else with the same question.

My '90 Bronco starts easily but dies unless I turn the key a bit looking for the 'sweet' spot. The spot is easy enough to to find but not always will my power windows, radio or heater fan work unless I find the even sweeter spot.

I tried replacing the key/tumbler mechanism with no luck.

Have purchased a new job ignition switch and the socket it attaches to but haven't torn into it yet.

I did see another Bronco on Craigslist in my area with the same issue listed in the ad so I can reasonably figure mine is not a unique problem.

Hoping another Bronco owner out there has tackled and conquered the same issue.

I can provide further details if needed.

Thanks,

Patrick

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey pg, welcome

The ignition switch can be adjusted by loosening the attachment screws and sliding it up or down the column. Only about 1/8 inch is usually needed.

You may want to try that before replacement.

Good Luck  

OP
OP
P

pgiles

Reaction score
Thanks, but any idea if I'm on the right track? I'd hate to think I'll excavate my steering column only to replace a good part.

OP
OP
P

pgiles

Reaction score
Thanks, but any idea if I'm on the right track? I'd hate to think I'll excavate my steering column only to replace a good part.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Adjustment is the most common cause of the symptoms you describe. The column does not need to be removed. Just remove the trim underneath. Sometimes it helps to loosen the bolts holding the column under the dash and gently allowing the column to drop down some. Be careful not to stress the shift indicator cable. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo