Radiator Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capt_Rob843

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am getting a gas smell when I drive my truck and read the post on fuel pressure regulator replacement, and I will surely check into that. My other issue is an extreme amount of rust in the radiator. Yesterday I flushed the whole system out with water and only drove the truck once last night. This morning I checked the radiator cap again, and sure enough more rust. I have to ask if I am doing the right thing by flushing with water? I was told about a product that I could buy at an auto parts store and I may do so when I get some money flow. But, my main question is if it is possible that this radiator issue has something to do with the gas smell. After flushing it yesterday afternoon and driving it, the smell was noticeably less. Thanks for all your help.

-Capt. Rob

The first photo attached is of the drainage that came out of the radiator. NOT GOOD,!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Pretty nasty but not all that unusual.

A flush kit & a flush chemical is not all that expensive. Water by itself is not going to do much.

It may take a couple chemical flushings.  Just follow the directions.

Very unlikely this has anything to do with gas smell.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

To Confirm Bob's info;

See 96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)

Same as most earlier years especially 92-96, excepts for OBD II in 96, 4WABS (93-96); ABS (87-92); Air Bag (94-96); 3 ***** Automatic Locking Hubs (Built from May 95 through 96); Spark Plug Wire Routing & Firing Order (The firing order for 1987-1993 5.0Ls is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. The firing order for 1994- 96 5.0Ls & all 5.8Ls is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.);

2-piece Spindle Rolling Diaphragm Seal (RDS) used on 5/95 to 96 Broncos & F Series 1/2-ton 4WD

and a few other items that I still need to research

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

Section 03-03: Engine Cooling

CLEANING AND INSPECTION

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj33031.htm

EXCERPTS;

Coolant Condition Check

A reddish brown color indicates rust in the cooling system. Advise the customer that the best course would be to flush the cooling system and refill with the correct 50/50 coolant mixture. Ford Premium Cooling System Fluid, E2FZ-19549-AA or equivalent meeting Ford specification (ESE-M97B44-A and ESE-M97B43-A) contains corrosion inhibitors. In addition, add 1.4 liters (1.5 qts.) of Heavy-Duty Cooling System Additive FW-15 or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESN-M99B169-A.

An iridescent sheen on the top of the coolant indicates a small amount of oil entering the coolant. This is common in high-mileage vehicles.

--

To remove rust, sludge and other foreign material from the cooling system, use Ford Premium Cooling System Flush F1AZ-19A503-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESR-M14P7-A. Flush system using Rotunda Cooling System Flusher 106-00010 Flush Kit Hardware Package 106-R0011, and Drain Kit 106-R0015 or equivalent. Removal of such material restores cooling efficiency and avoids overheating.

Always remove the water thermostat (8575) prior to pressure flushing. A pulsating or reversed direction of flushing water flow will loosen sediment more quickly than a steady flow in the normal direction of coolant flow. In severe cases where cleaning solvents will not properly clean the cooling system for efficient operation, use the pressure flushing method. Various types of flushing equipment are available.

Heater Core Back-Flushing

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj33034.htm#extract_601

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo