How to change tailgate lock cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KYbronco3

Reaction score
Ok guys, does the aluminum trim piece need to come off to swap lock cylinders? I'm replacing my tailgate as the old one is quite bent. I'm going to have to swap out the lock cylinder, window motor/regulator, glass, and weather strip. Where to start in all this....I'd really like to paint it Eddie Bauer green too

Elmo

Reaction score
Well it does not have to come off completely you can take the screws on the drivers end out and lift it slightly to work the lock out and in. some of the screws for the trim piece are difficult to get too.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

This by our Friend, SEABRONC;

It is relatively a simple job. Just be careful not to lose any of the pieces. You will have to raise the window to the up position with the tail gate down to get at it and work from the side (driver side latch must be manually closed). Be carefull not to put any weight on the window or just to be on the safe side put something under it to support it. Then you remove a nut that holds the actuator arm on to the cylinder, a C clip, a couple of spring washers, a spring clip and the clip that holds the cylinder to the gate.

Mark the top of the lock before you remove it from the old tail gate. If you put it in upside down you will not be able to pull the key out. If that happens, take it apart turn it 180 degrees and put it back.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Good luck,"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke