69 bronco turn signals and hazards inop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillsFan76

Reaction score
Just made an insanely long post and I lost it somehow.  Not how I meant to start my first post on the forums =)

Long story short now.  I bought a 1969 Bronco yesterday after driving 2 hours to Winter Park, Colorado the day before to drive it.  The cam in the steering column is broke per the seller so the turn signal doesn't move back to normal position after turning.  I didn't pay it any bother and kept using the turn signal switch assuming it was working outside even though I didn't see anything flashing on the dash.  After finalizing the purchase when the seller drove it on a flatbed to my house, I drove it around the block with my brother.  I asked him to jump out and check the signals and nothing was on, checked the hazards as well and nothing.  I checked the fuse and the relay after talking to the seller on the phone and he assured me they worked because he had tags on it and they inspect it when you apply for collector tags every 5 years.  So I know they worked at sometime in the last few years but neither is working now.  Feeling like a dumby buying a truck and not even thinking to check the signals and hazards from outside the truck, was too busy going through the body and drive train.

Could that broken cam in the steering column on the turn signal switch cause both hazards and turn signals to go out?  I haven't checked the bulbs yet as he delivered the truck pretty late but ill go there first when I get home.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Alex

PS.  He told me the horn is disconnected at either the horn or steering wheel and that I just needed to reconnect it for it to work.  Unsure if that would have any bearing but wanted to mention it.. I'll hook it back up later tonight after work.

69 Bronco.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Alex, welcome..!!!

Great post BTW.., informative..!  Wish all were this thorough.

All you describe is a pretty easy fix. Somewhat depending on if it has a stock steering wheel or aftermarket.

All this monkey motion is just under the steering wheel.

The broken canceling cam may have taken out the small horn contact button.

You won't know 'til you get the wheel off.

With the wheel off.., you'll decide wheather to replace just the cam, or the complete switch.

I've done both.  The cam itself was a bit delicate as I recall. The whole switch req. snaking the wires

down thru the column about a foot. Not hard.., just takes some time. (wires are color coded & just plug in)

(there's OEM & Aft. Mkt. switches. & a price difference)

'74-'77 EB's had the hazard light mechanism incorporated into the turn signal switch.

Yours would not.., unless the column was swapped out.

Your emergency flasher switch should be on the dash..?

Up under the dash (and accessable) is the flasher. It just plugs in.

This operates both the hazards & the turn signals, as I recall. They do go bad.

(this is the round thingie that makes the clicker noise)

Aft. market steering wheels are nice & come with the horn hardware.

The horns are usually just dirty.

After the wheel is off.., ask away if you have more questions..!!

OP
OP
BillsFan76

BillsFan76

Reaction score
Bob,

Thanks for such a detailed reply, It's appreciated.  I never even paid attention to the steering wheel when buying it, but last night took a look after I saw your post and it's a Grant steering wheel.  The flasher you mentioned was actually something the seller called a relay, he had it wrapped in green electric tape sticking out of the dash for easy access.  I remember asking what that was when I first drove out to his house to test drive it and he said it was for the turn signals.  I swapped it out along with the fuse under the dash with an O'Reillys replacement but no luck on anything lighting up.  Ordering that turn signal switch with wires and will hopefully have it by Friday.  Will try and swap it out this weekend and see what happens.  After seeing that my hazards are not part of the wiring in the steering column switch  and they are still out after replacing that flasher, I'm a little worried.  I'll get the turn signal switch out and replaced and see where that gets me this weekend and hit you up for some more bronco knowledge :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Thanks again man!

Alex

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
My pleasure..!

Another point., the 'lil bulbs in the instrument cluster sometimes burn out.  Some light up the cluster, one for hi-beams,

& 2 for turn signals/flashers.

A trick is to un-plug the wires exiting the column & tightly tape (but not bulky) a strong string to them.

Then easy to pull the new wires back down thru the column.

BTW.., where RU..?

OP
OP
BillsFan76

BillsFan76

Reaction score
I think I saw 2 of those bulbs you mentioned hanging around the bottom of the Speedo cluster this morning, nothing was on of course :((   I ordered that turn signal switch this morning from wild horses for like $40.  Saw it on ebay for a little more than half and opted for the one from Wild Horses.  Hopefully the quality from them is worth the extra $15.  I'll have it in a few days and tear in to the top of that column.  Shortly after I'll be back on here asking you more questions so get ready.  Thanks again for all of your help, you've been great.

Alex

PS  I'm in Denver, Co 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke