Early Bronco Steering Knuckle Dampner Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoX1

Reaction score
I purchased some NOS steering knuckle dampners.  Are the dampner bushings supposed to be hard or pliable?

The dampner's will not compress and are very hard.  I have 3 that are white in color and 1 that is black.

Is there a trick to installing these ?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Yes, they are made of a hard material (like nylon)  The color doesn't matter.

Did you get just the dampeners..?

The kits come with; seal, bearing, washer, dampener, race & cup.

King pin shim paks are extra.

The tricky part may be, after taking top & bottom king pins out, cleaning all parts & see what's worn.

Assuming your thinking 'bout re-using all those parts.

You gave us very little info. so it's difficult to help other than guessing.

Good time to do the axle u-jointswhile you're in there....!!!  :-B

OP
OP
B

BroncoX1

Reaction score
Got all the parts to rebuild, cups, dampeners, bearings, races, shims, etc.  Problem I am having is the dampeners will not compress enough for the bearing to ride in the race.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
One of a few things I've NOT done on my rig.   (kingpins)  Mine are fine.

However, I don't think anyone on this board has mentioned doing a kingpin rebuild.

Soooooo., when you get thru this.., YOU will be the "reigning expert" ...!

---- We're counting on you to come back & give us the "ins-n-outs" of this project ---- :D/

Thanks in advance,

B

OP
OP
B

BroncoX1

Reaction score
68 Bronco with Dana 30.  OK, here's what is going on.  Installed as follows in order....cup...dampener...dampener cap...bearing race...cone bearing.  Now at this point I noticed that the cone bearing is riding about  1/4 or more above the race...in other words cone bearing is not touching the race.  Question I have is...will the dampener bushing compress that much after shim and cover cap installed.  I purchased NOS dampener kit.  The NOS dampeners were in excellent shape, but seamed to be very hard (maybe they are supposed to be).  I just don't see how they will compress that much.  Anyone out there ever replace these and have any input.

OP
OP
B

BroncoX1

Reaction score
I think I see where I am having problems.  Evidently the dust caps have to be pressed or squeezed into position.  Question:  Do you  press them in with the dampener and washer installed ?  Also how far do you press the dust cap in ?

OP
OP
B

BroncoX1

Reaction score
Ok,  thanks for the information...I will wait and see if anyone else wants to comment.  When I finish the knuckle project I will try to post in more detail.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo