Upgrading the EEC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Problems

Reaction score
I have a 1990 with a 1992 Wiring harness, is there a way for me to find out What I need to upgrade the Engine Computer to an 1992? I know I that having a 302, and having the automatic with overdrive and cruise has something to do with the model computer I get, But I need any help I can get as far as that. Please help, its my only weatherproof vehicle.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey 99,

Sounds like your problem is a mix and match of components.  Instead of trying to match yet another component that wasn't meant to be there you should correct the problem and replace the harness with the correct 1990 one.

OP
OP

99Problems

Reaction score
Well one of the advantages of the newer computer would be (as I have been told) is that I would be able to stream the diagnostics when other problems arise. Am I wrong in that assumption? The current computer is giving me idle and running issues. When the engine does start, it goes into trying to find the ideal idle and things really go wrong from there on. I have a few videos that I am trying to download so that I can show yall the issues I am having.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
The computer gathers info, analyses it and compares it to predetermined parameters then sends the proper signals to the proper actuating device. There are multiple sensors, circuits and devices that need to work in conjunction with the EEC to gather and  make the proper adjustments. Having the incorrect wiring harness interrupts the systemic working of this system. Installing a 92 EEC would have that component programed with the parameters and input demand for an engine and trans different than what you have.

The first step would be to pull any code that might be in your current EEC. Then see if any of the related codes are indigenous to devises that could effect the running of your engine and/or related to an issue with the wrong wiring harness.

I know this isn't an easy fix. First it must be determined what the issue/ problem is (CODE/S). Throwing more components that aren't correct for the application isn't the answer  

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke