Transmission cross member removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunter1897

Reaction score
On the Early Bronco, I know there are two large bolts, one on each side, that attach the transmission cross member to the frame rail support brackets.  I need to drop my tranny and transfer case and I know it requires removing the cross member but it doesn't appear I have room to put a wrench or socket on the driver's side nut to remove the bolt for that attachment point.  Any tips or pointers on that?  My other thought was to remove the driver's side support bracket which appears to be bolted to the frame by four bolts.  Are those bolts nutted on the inside or are they run into weld-nuts?  I'm afraid to pull the bolts out and lose the nuts on the inside, which would seem to be a bad design since the frame is a boxed frame with no access to nuts inside the frame rails?  

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I noticed that as well.

I applied penatrating oil on the 4 bolts, then backed one or two about a 1/4 inch..., then re-tightened them

to see the reaction.

I determined there's a threaded nut or plate attached inside the frame.

In your case since you're removing T & T-case.., use a jack to take off a bit of pressure.., then back out all

4 bolts a bit & see if you can push them in. If not, there's permanent solid threads in there.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I have factory frame holes just above the radius arm torque nuts.

Shining a light, I'm convinced there's plates there that serve as stiffeners & are threaded

for the bolts.

(one could squirt pen. oil up in there & hit the bolt/threads)

I would still test to be sure they're locked in place.

A while back, I concluded T & T removal would be easier with those brackets (2) out of the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdgary

Reaction score
I pulled my trans and case today. As well as the two brackets you're talking about. Seems to be some deep threads. Plate or nuts. I had no issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno