351 1990 or 1992 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

centaur66

Reaction score
Hello everybody, my name is Gerhard and I am from Germany. I bought a 1990 Bronco with a 351 engine. Now I wanted to change the starter and had to find out, that the starter did not fit for the Year 1990 but only from the built in 1992nd. Can it be that it is a 92er engine? What are the differences 90-92?

best regards

Jgrden

Reaction score
I wouldn't know my ***** from a hot rock when it comes to engine sizes but it sure is good to hear from someone across the pond, as the English say. Good luck, I am going to lurk behind the scenes to see what you come up with. 

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Gerhard.., welcome..!

Where are you getting your parts..? From a local parts store, or, mail order...?

Check me on this but I believe small block Ford V/8's (289, 302, 351) only have two types of starters.

One for automatic transmission & another for manual shift.

Are you sure it's a 351 & not a big block engine put in by the previous owner..?

Give us more info. if possible.... :-B

MarkBright'67

Reaction score
Hi Gerhard , welcome ! (my compliments about your choise..as BRONCO' driver, i hope to see some picture very soon ) . I'm not a mechanic, but : "May i simply suppose you've bought "the wrong one" as caracteristics ? coz maybe they works differently across those years.. (not engine related). Check this link (i've to write it coz "past n copy doesn't works n i dunno why..lol) : www.bcbroncos.com/ford%20starters.pdf   , good luck :)>-

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo G,

WELCOME

The 92-96 Bronco's were made w/Magnet Gear Reduction (PMGR) Starters that are smaller in size than previous year starter models.

Here is the difference in size; PMGR on Left;

img_1337.jpg

pic by Cody

starterexploded.jpg

PMGR Parts Diagram

by Fors via Steve

PMGR Installation & System Upgrade pics, PMGR (Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction) in an 86 (SAME FOR 90 BRONCO)

Source: by Sixlitre (Malcolm H, Eddie Bauer) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/4970/77204

AS BOB Advised;

Manual Transmission; The locating circle on the face of a Ford starter is made to different dimensions for manual and automatic transmissions. This keeps a person from mixing the two starters up since they look similar. If the starter does not fit in the hole in the intermediate plate, this indicates that a person either has the wrong starter or the wrong intermediate plate. Do not enlarge this hole or grind on the starter to make it fit, instead change the incompatible part.

Source: by powermastermotorsports

OP
OP
C

centaur66

Reaction score
Hello There,
thanks for the replies. I buy the share at a local dealer. He repaired only US cars.I drive an automatic transmission. On Sunday I take a picture of the engine and the starter.

OP
OP
C

centaur66

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

here are some pictures from the motor and starter. Next week I will meet my local dealer to see which starter fits. Mabe I find out, which motor I have. The Bronco makes really fun, but also costs much money and time.

Best regards

Gerhard & Google Translater

Bromco1.jpg

Bronco2.jpg

Bronco3.jpg

Bronco 4.jpg

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Good pics.., that's a 5.8/351 fuel inj. Ford engine alright.

However.., the pics of the starter are of the solenoid only.

Back off a bit and get the larger body in the frame as well. (the actual starter motor)

OP
OP
C

centaur66

Reaction score
Hello there,
the starter will change on Friday from my local dealer. More pictures follow. 

Besr regards

OP
OP
C

centaur66

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

today I was at my local daeler and mechanic. The previous owner had built a starter from a 92er Bronco with 10 teeth. I don’t know why! My dealer tolds me, that now the right starter is fitted with 9 teeth.

Best regards

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom