electric fan versus fan blade and fan clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rogmit

Reaction score
Well I finally got my transmission shifting correctly since I have the correct computer now.Thanks for everyones help.I have a 92 Ford Bronco with a 351 and  I was thinking about switching to electrical fans and removing my regular fan blade and fan clutch. But, I wanted to know if there are any benefits to switching or if I'm better off keeping what I have/ Any Ideas, let me know. I would appreciate it.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

Installation, Flex-a-lite® Duals 295 in a 96

Source: by Al S (White Cloud, OwlStu) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/641/33949

Al wrote for example.

"Why Conversion To Electric

For improved fuel mileage? You're kidding right. In a 6,000 lb. non aerodynamic vehicle you really think removing a belt driven fan with properly functioning clutch is going to make any noticeable difference? Not a chance.

For more power by eliminating the stock belt driven fan? You're kidding right. How much power do you think it takes to turn the stock belt driven fan with properly functioning clutch? Only about 1 HP at cruising speed would be my guess.

To turn it off for deep water? Getting close. That's probably one of the better reasons for converting to electric from the stock belt driven fan.

But the reason I converted to the electric fan was because it was a good time to do so since the stock belt driven fan clutch seized up and for the "cool" project factor."

See Al's VIDEO Download original movie file

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/media/318899

Jgrden

Reaction score
I like this idea and will seriously consider converting mine as the time permits. Had electric fans on three of my SSR's and they are a must. 

Seabronc

Reaction score
One great advantage is that it will run full speed under conditions that a mechanical one won't, ie. stopped in traffic, slow trudging on trails, etc. basically when a mechanical system is most inefficient.

My truck always ran cooler in hot weather with an electric fan than with the old mechanical fan.  You need to use a fan that has a high CFM rating, off the top of my head mine was I believe 4200 CFM.  I used one from a Lincon Continental 4.6 L engine plus an adjustable fan control. I also had it switched so I could: 1. Force it ON 2. Force it OFF 3. AUTO run via the control.  The OFF is in the event you are crossing water, so that the water didn't brake the fan blades. Force ON in case the control failed.  AUTO run was the normal position.  That combined with a few other changes keep my engine in the normal running range even on the hottest days with surface temperatures around 120F. 

Some pics of the conversion http://www.supermotors.net/registry/212/30394-2

Last edited by a moderator:

Jgrden

Reaction score
Aha!  I know and engineer who makes these things.As you mentioned, they the engine stays cool even in stopped traffic. Mine started acting up when stopped waiting for toll booth  passage. Yes, I know, the way to correct that is to get an eZpass, which I did. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke