Annoying dinging sound when the Drivers door is open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertRatt1322

Reaction score
So I am looking for some help on *********** this annoying dinging sound coming from under my dash, I wouldn't have a problem if it was doing it while the keys were in the ignition but it happens all the time plus i think it's part of the reason my battery is draining, which is a completely different issue. So any help would awesome. 

Thanks 

Chris

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Chris,

I have found this to be not uncommon in older Ford trucks.  The ignition tumbler gets worn from all those time the key is inserted and removed...OR..a wire works loose if you have a tilt column. ( I believe it is a blue wire with red stripe)  These repairs require removal of the steering wheel. Something you need to be careful with so as not to  trigger the air bag.

You could search for the chime module under the dash and cut the power wire.  Just be sure to insulate the ends to prevent shorts.

Good Luck

Grizz

Reaction score
I had this issue untill i went in for the Cruise control recall.  Before i did go in i removed the air bag module under the dash(gray).  Ford reinstalled and fixed the Cruise control and my horns all with that recall. 

It may help.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yom

As Ron advised;

here is 91 Bronco Chime wiring diagram

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=50658

Key-In Contact Repair

If the key buzzer/chime is always on (even when the key is out & the cylinder bezel is properly aligned), then the contact has probably come loose from the steering column, and is grounding against it (1). With the cylinder assembly & column shroud removed, the contact belongs fully in the channel under the cylinder with its upper tab hooked over the column's debossment (2). The tab commonly breaks, but even if it's intact, it's a weak retention method which can be improved easily by the addition of a zip-tie (3). Ensure the contact touches the switch on the cylinder when the cylinder is inserted (4). Finally, ensure the zip-tie does not interfere with the column shroud (5).

The lock cylinder catch pin (6) is accessible through a small hole (noticeably smaller than the ***** holes) in the bottom of the column shroud.

See the NEXT several pics & captions for lock cylinder repair...

by Steve http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/1045646

first pic;

buzzkey.jpg see other pics

GL!

OP
OP
DesertRatt1322

DesertRatt1322

Reaction score
Thanks to all I'll be looking into these over the next couple of weeks, I first have to finish working on the transfer case motor and figure out why its not working, 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom