Fuel pump/wiring and now acceleration/rpm issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b2girl

Reaction score
Fuel pump went out and took wiring with it. Had a buddy help me out since I was an hour from home. Replaced the fuel pump. He tried a quick fix and created a fuse to get the fuel pump running. Got the truck running and driving, or so I thought. Hopped on the freeway, raining. Turned on my windshield wipers and my rpms immediately started repeatedly dropping. Could this be from the quick wiring set up to get me home? Regardless, I got home with out the truck. It is currently sitting at a mechanic an hour away.

Before the fuel pump went out I had no issues with starting, running and accelerating.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Girl..,

I have to go out on a limb here..,  assume this is fuel inj.  & the pump is in the tank.., or frame mounted..??

Wow.., fuel pump wiring (I assume it melted..?) failing like that is quite rare I would think..!

Do you know if the PO rigged up some mods to this pump..?

First thing I'd do is splice in fresh wiring via the orig. factory diagram.

Sounds like the same failure repeated itself  on the way home.

I can't help except to say if you post the "gray areas"  as to your vehicle specifics, someone with

B2 experience may jump in with some help.

OP
OP
b2girl

b2girl

Reaction score
Yes fuel inj. And in the tank pump.

The mechanic will be calling tomorrow to fill me in on the issue.

Hopefully its not a pricey repair.

I'll be posting again tomorrow when I know more.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey b2girl,

Wiring diagrams are essential to keeping any old vehicle running.  If you don't already have one get a Haynes manual for your truck. They have diagrams in the back.

The issue is probably that the old wiring chafed on the frame, OR it's internally corroded so you cannot see that it cannot carry the current that is required to operate the device.

The issue of problems when the wiper were on is probably because the fuel pump was wired to that circuit and the amperage dropped when they were activated.

Wiring can look daunting, but is actually fairly simple. Just take one circuit at a time.

Hope you get it all sorted.

Good Luck 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads