dual shock tower

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

devildog95

Reaction score
hello everyone . I have a major problem with my full size 95. this morning I noticed the front right side of my truck sitting like a low rider. to my dismay I see the top of the dual shock tower was split in half between where the coil spring mounts to it and where the shock connects . I took it to a local shop who im intrusted to this great mechanic. .he said it rotted through  and also suggested its time to unload the truck because the frame has rot (not  major) on it also both sides and he doesn't believe there is a bolt on tower bracket..he was only guessing but he said it can be a couple grand to fix

. he referred me to  a spring shop in which I have an appt. on sat. morning.. the truck is in great shape only 170 grand on it the truck can be on a showroom floor. . he also said I can make tons of money selling it as a parts truck. I figure I can get 5000 grand for the truck as is now.my question to you guys is whats your opinon on getting it fixed and is he in the appox. ball park figure to get it fixed...thanks for your input 

nelbur

Reaction score
Get a second and maybe a third opinion.   Sounds like he was hoping you would sell it to him cheap.   Everything can be fixed.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
I'll third the others opinions....those shock towers can often have the rivets ground out and new (used) towers bolted in.  I would take a good look at the rest of the frame.  You could have other problems lurking.

Good  luck....and welcome

OP
OP
D

devildog95

Reaction score
thanks guys for your input on this issue..tomorrow when I take her to the to the spring shop I should have more answers and I will get back to all of you for more inputs .......I don't mean to sound like a whimp but shes my baby .she took me through more snow storms and other severe storms  and just hanging out with  her on the tailgate  are times I will never forget. I don't want to loose her.i ll give her CPR if needed

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Dog,

I believe our Sponsor, Jeff's has the Coil Spring Towers for both sides, Double Shock

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/1980-96-Ford-Truck_Bronco/departments/20/

Also save this;

96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

Same as most earlier years exc. for OBD II in 96, 4WABS (93-96); ABS (87-92); Air Bag (94-96); 3 ***** Automatic Locking Hubs (Built from May 95 through 96); Spark Plug Wire Routing & Firing Order (The firing order for 1987-1993 5.0Ls is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. The firing order for 1994- 96 5.0Ls & all 5.8Ls is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.);

2-piece Spindle Rolling Diaphragm Seal (RDS) used on 5/95 to 96 Broncos & F Series 1/2-ton 4WD

and a few other items that I still need to research

aee

Section 04-01B: Suspension, Front, 4-Wheel Drive

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Shock Absorber, F-150 and Bronco Equipped with Quad Front Shock Absorbers

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj41b17.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

devildog95

Reaction score
ok so hears the news  .she will survive..im getting the new shock tower online  from the place one of our most respected members suggested (Miesk5) . the spring shop said easy fix for them  just about 2 hours work at 85 bucks an hour ....I can do this..no tombstone hood ordament needed for her  at this time...... :D/   :D/   :D/

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Dog,

Good!

I tuned-in a local repair shop owner to Jeff's and he said, for instance that their radiator support fit perfectly as compared to another source's piece that lacked some holes or were not in correct place.

GL!

OP
OP
D

devildog95

Reaction score
man im estacic the shock tower will be in tomorrow . been driving my wifes monte carlo   its a nice ride  but its not my baby. sure its a cool ride for bowtie owners  but its not my cup of tea......just a quick question .the tower doesn't come with the mounting bolts can anyone tell me what size bolts to get ;the suggested thread count and how many.thanks again

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Check w/local Ford dealer Parts;

as you cn see, the fasteners are not identified in the workshop manual

"...

Section 04-01B: Suspension, Front, 4-Wheel Drive

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

Fasteners, Suspension

Suspension fasteners are important attaching parts because they could affect performance of vital components and systems, and/or could result in major service expense. They must be replaced with fasteners of the same part number or with an equivalent part if replacement becomes necessary. DO NOT use a replacement part of lesser quality or substitute design. Torque values must be as specified during assembly to ensure proper retention of parts. New fasteners must be used whenever old fasteners are loosened or removed and when new components are installed."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar