96 won't go in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pappy

Reaction score
I thought it might be the recall on the cruise control. but it seems to be something with the brakes Any clues? seems like it should be something easy but it will not engage out of park.when I put the cruise control on master cylinder and plug it in it keeps blowing fuses.unplug no problem but still no brake lights

OP
OP
P

Pappy

Reaction score
by the way never joined a forum before but you all seem to know what you're talking about.just got done restoring a Jeep and this Bronco is just as sentimental to me. any good advice is welcome thank you

OP
OP
P

Pappy

Reaction score
by the way never joined a forum before but you all seem to know what you're talking about.just got done restoring a Jeep and this Bronco is just as sentimental to me. any good advice is welcome thank you

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Pappy,

Welcome!

Un-plug that CC connector on Master Cylinder and changes Fuses; see if it will shift out of Park.

Need fuses 13 and 18 intact

96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

Brake Shift Interlock Overview in a 96; "...All vehicles are equipped with a brake shift interlock system. The brake shift interlock system prevents the shifting from PARK (the key is in run) unless the service brake is depressed. The brake shift interlock system consists of a brake shift lock actuator mounted at the base of the steering column. If the key is in run, the brake shift lock actuator continually runs unless the brake is depressed..."

Source: by Ford

•Brake Shift Interlock System

Cannot Shift from Park with Brake Depressed

No voltage signal from brake circuit.

CHECK voltage at wire terminal. If no voltage when brake is depressed, REPAIR circuit (see below in TSB 95-02-11)

Large voltage difference between brake/ignition circuit.

MEASURE the voltage difference between ignition input and brake input — not to exceed 2 volts. REPAIR circuit.

Broken/seized solenoid.

INSPECT latch assembly and plunger. LUBRICATE or REPLACE.

Solenoid electrically worn or damaged.

REPLACE solenoid.

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj75006.htm

Electrical Schematics

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj75004.htm

Also

Vehicle Can't be Shifted Out of PARK, Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks; See P

Source: by Ford

Fuse 13 Blown, E4OD Brake shift interlock; Stop & Hazard Lamps, Stop Sensor for Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS); Speed Control & PCM Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 for 94-95 Bronco & F Series;

wire harness may be pinched/shorted on steering column support behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall, I had same short here too & caused E4OD's TCIL (OD switch-LED) to blink- I should have kept count on how many other owners have found this short there over the years;

wires pinched @ brake/tail lights, my 96's stop/turn/tail lights wires were almost cut in half on passenger side against 1/4 panel (inner);

wires pinched @ high mount brake light

& @ driver's left hand seat belt anchor bolt @ base of B Pillar.

Driver's Side B Pillar pic; "...This is a picture of the connector behind the driver side seat belt retractor. This is a common area of problems. On mine, the wires had corroded and fell out of the connector. green wire had corroded on the connector and preventing power getting to the dome light..."

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy135/OptoKenai/P3210583.jpg

by Quinnalt

96 Bronco Owners Guide by Hiller Ford http://www.hillerford.com/resource_library/owner_manuals_pdf/1996_owner_manuals_ford/96bronco.pdf

See page 178

NOTE: Your vehicle is equipped with a brake-shift interlock feature. This feature prevents you from shifting from P (Park) unless you have the brake pedal depressed. (The ignition must be in the ON position.) If youcannot shift from P (Park) with the brake pedal depressed:

1. Apply the parking brake.

2. Remove the key.

3. Insert the key and rotate one position clockwise (ignition in the OFF position).

4. Apply the brake pedal and shift to N (Neutral). (If the vehicle is shifted to P (Park), you must repeat the previous steps.)

5. Start the vehicle.

If you need to shift out of P (Park) by using the alternate procedure described above, it is possible that a fuse has blown and that your brake lamps may also not be functional. Please refer to the chapter titled Servicing Your Bronco in this Owner Guide for instructions on checkingand replacing fuses.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P

Pappy

Reaction score
I went through your conversations with other people and was able to locate the brake problem. the emergency brake driver side was locked cut cable off and pulled apart and cleaned it. Also the brake sensor on the break pedal was bad so I replaced it.everything was fine even transmission shifting smoother after changing all the fluids. then another air leak yesterday hopefully I found it i will know in about an hour.appreciate you getting back to me I'm sure I'll have plenty more issues.

OP
OP
P

Pappy

Reaction score
sorry to bother you on a saturday But my two AC lines going underneath the dash and mainly going in are getting extremely hot extremely quick any suggestions.

OP
OP
P

Pappy

Reaction score
anyone know why my a/c lines are getting extremely hot extremely quick and causing my engine to lunGech

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke